Cat

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

A few weeks ago my cat Ivy had a swollen lower lip with some…

A few weeks ago...

A few weeks ago my cat Ivy had a swollen lower lip with some of her fur missing. It seemed to clear up for a while, and a few days agoI noticed her left side of her lower lip is drooping. She’s eat and drinking just fine.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name and age?

Ivy and she’s 3 years old

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Ivy?

I haven’t taken her in yet I was hoping it would clear up on its own. Should I take her in?

11/21/2017
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Can you upload a photo(s) of this area to our conversation? You can upload photos by using the paperclip or add file icon in the toolbar above your message box (if you can see those icons on your particular device) or you can use an external app such as dropbox.com/ I can be more accurate for you if I can see what you're seeing. Please check that the photo(s) is in focus prior to uploading it. My initial considerations are "fat lip" disease - a form of esosinophilic dermatitis, or a bite wound cellulitis/abscess if Ivy had associated with other cats recently.

Thank you. Give me a moment to take a look, please...

This appears to represent fat chin disease. It's a nonpainful swelling due to the infiltration of a white blood cell called the eosinophil. It's thought to represent a hypersensitivity reaction but to what the skin is reacting may be unclear. Flea saliva, feeding bowls, and environmental allergens are considered. Treatment usually involves a prescription glucocorticoid (steroid) which works very well but we don't like to keep cats on such a drug for very long. One injection of methylprednisolone or a 7-10 day course of oral prednisolone is acceptable. In many cases I treat with the tincture of time only as many of these fat chins normalize unaided within days to weeks. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Thank you!

You're quite welcome. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.