Cat

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

My six month old kitten decided it would be a good idea to…

My six month old...

My six month old kitten decided it would be a good idea to eat nexium capsule lol

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the cat?

He seems a tad lethargic and his HR is up

Veterinarian's Assistant: Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the cat. What is the cat's name and age?

Frodo is 6 months

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Frodo?

He likes to chew on things

11/20/2017
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

How much does Frodo weigh?

How many milligrams was the nexus capsule?

How long ago was this consumed?

Awesome. Thank you!

How much does Frodo weigh?

How long ago was this consumed?

Frodo is about 6 lbs. the capsule is 20mg. He ate about 80%

And how long ago was this consumed?

This happened within the last 20 minutes

1.5mg/kg is the usual dose of this medication used for cats. This means Frodo's dosage would be around 4mg.
There is little information available on overdosages currently but we do know that large dosages in rats and humans do not often cause significant issues. We typically treat symptomatically and monitor. It's very possible that Frodo may experience nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, avoidance of food or water, lethargy, etc. from this ingestion and it may last for the better part of 24 hours. It would be wise to have your vet examine him and monitor I'm throughout the day. They may wish to give activated charcoal to try to avoid absorption of what he's consumed. If you choose to watch him at home, get the veterinary ER's number to have on hand in case you need it this evening. Make sure Frodo is kept in a calm, quiet area where he cannot climb overnight and allow him to rest. He can eat and drink normally so long as he's not having any vomiting.

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me (bottom of the page if using the app). A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

He seems to be acting normal. He once ate an entire bag of hot dog buns when he was 9 weeks old. He pooped it out and carried on with his day. He just now tried to eat the couch. Lmao

He's certainly a master of mischief! You'll likely see more symptoms as more time goes on. Let me know if I can assist further.

Checking in on Frodo today. How is he feeling? Did you see any odd symptoms from the Nexium consumption?

He’s doing really well. He didn’t have any symptoms. He’s back to being his normal crazy kitten self. Lol. Thanks so much!

Sure thing. So glad to hear he's well.

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse