Cat

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

My cats tail is limp Everytime I time I touch her tail

Customer Question
Hi my cats tail is...
Hi my cats tail is limp Everytime I time I touch her tail towards the middle she screams in pain.. she can poop and pee in her litter box and she has not lost her appetite she still jumps on too the couches .. but I'm scared her tail might be broken
Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Cat
She also seems to want to sleep more.. but she still wants to be outside whenever she sees the chance
11/20/2017
Cat Vet: Dr. Kara, Veterinarian replied 5 months ago
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

I am sorry to hear that your girl's tail seems limp and uncomfortable, but I am pleased to hear that she is eating well, and is able to jump and eliminate normally.

If her tail isn't kinked or bent then a fracture is very unlikely.

The most common causes of tail discomfort where a kitty can still move his tail but it hurts to do so are bite or scratch wounds to the tail, tailhead area or anal gland infections or abscesses. These kitties have normal neurologic function, it just hurts to move the tail. I would try to examine her back near the base of her tail, the tail itself and have a peek at the area around her rectum to look for swollen or abscessed anal glands.

Since she goes outdoors unsupervised another possible cause of her discomfort is a tail pull injury or tailhead trauma.

This occurs when a cat falls and lands on her tailhead/back of the pelvis or the tail gets caught (by another animal or a car) and pulled hard enough that the caudal spinal cord is stretched. Sometimes the nerves are just stretched, but in some cases they break and when that happens the damage can be permanent. Cats may not show the full extent of their injury for several days as secondary inflammation and nerve death occur. Treatment is with steroids and rest.

The other possible causes of her condition are an intervertebral disc protrusion putting pressure on her spinal cord, a blood clot, granuloma (can be inflammatory or from a parasite encysting there) or mass/tumor within the spinal cord canal which places pressure on her spinal cord.

If she begins having trouble passing urine or stool she should be seen by a veterinarian as soon as possible. But if she is able to eliminate normally I recommend that she be closely confined and then see her veterinarian tomorrow if she cannot be seen today.

They can examine her and prescribe antibiotics if a bite or scratch wound or anal gland abscess or infection is found, or they can prescribe anti-inflammatories if it appears this is a spinal cord injury.

If testing at your veterinarian is nondiagnostic you may want to discuss further testing with your veterinarian as well as referral to a veterinary neurologist for an MRI.

Best of luck with your girl, please let me know if you have any further questions.

Hello, I wanted to make sure that you didn't have any further questions for me, and I'd like to know how things turned out for your kitty. If you could give me an update that would be great, thank you, ***** *****

Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian