Cat

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Cat

My 20 lb male Maine coon Buddy is constantly attacking and…

My 20 lb male...

My 20 lb male Maine coon Buddy is constantly attacking and biting her 14 lb sister Maine coon Socks. Buddy is neutered and 4 years old It hasn't always been this bad but now he is attacks on Socks are increasing. I can tell Socks is sad now. She would love to be close to Buddy but she can't and that makes me sad. I dearly love my cats and will never give them up. How can I stop this behavior?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the maine's name?

Buddy

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Buddy?

Buddy won't let Socks on our bed at night. I get the feeling he is jealous of Socks, but we give loads of attention to both cats. I see Socks becoming more stressed always looking where Buddy is. I won't leave them alone. I'm afraid fhe could really hurt her. He is a huge cat compared to her.

11/19/2017
CVT_in_MN

Hi,my name is ***** ***** I've been with this company since 2008. I'll be happy to help you with your question today.

Has there been anything new in the house, even something as little as a new laundry detergent?

Can you sort of pinpoint what causes these attacks?

When was the last time Buddy had a complete physical with blood work?

nothing new in the house that I can think of.
It seems that when Buddy is around me and Socks comes around, he chases her and bites. The problem is both cats like to be with me where ever I am.
Buddy had a physical approximately about a year ago and was in perfect health and got updated on shots. He is 4 years old.

Great. What do you do when Buddy acts up?

Does Buddy let Socks eat and drink?

I don't hear well so texting is the best for me to communicate.

Sounds awesome to me. I'm happy to continue this way.

he lets her eat and drink. I felt so bad because he can be pretty fiesty around Buddy ad wants to play, but this excessive biting is actually making her sad. She went up to Buddy yesterday and kind of nipped at him and put her paw on him as if to say why are you doing this to me. It really made me so sad.
fI meant to say Socks can be pretty fiesty with Buddy and in spite of rough play they will occasionally touch noses and have always been close. They like to drink water out of the tub. This morning they were both sharjing the water in the tub and Buddy I thought was going to lick her on her side but then he started biting her and she ran out.
When Buddy acts up attacking Socks and chasing her all over the house, I spray him with a water. He then will stop most of the time, but there are times, he is persistent on getting to her.

Great. Thanks for the additional information. I really appreciate it.

It's actually not terribly uncommon for cats to develop new, unusual behaviors...and it sounds like something may have triggered this behavior in Buddy, but it's almost impossible to know what caused it.

Something you could try would be to invest in a couple Feliway diffusers. These are wall diffusers (sort of like plug in air fresheners) that emit a man made version of the same pheromone a lactating queen gives off to help calm the kittens and get them to nurse. You can find them online on places like Amazon, or many vet offices carry them too.

If this were me, I'd plug one in wherever they spend the most amount of time. In your bedroom, or wherever you three like to hang out. If that's going to help, you'll notice at least a little bit of a change in a few days. If it does work for you, keep in mind that the diffuser is only good for about 20 days, so you'll need to replace it.

I hope this helps.

Thank you for the info and I will definitely buy one. Would pills from the vet be a good idea?

You could absolutely ask your vet about some medication for Buddy.

I really appreciate your help. I love my fur babies so much. I must go now as I am on oxygen and in need of a nebulizer treatment. Thanks again. ***** find other problems come up, then I may consider a subscription. Thanks again.

You're very welcome.

CVT_in_MN
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
CVT_in_MN
CVT_in_MN
CVT_in_MN
CVT_in_MN, CVT