Cat

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

I have a dwarf hamster, Kili. I have had him for 5 months he…

I have a dwarf...

I have a dwarf hamster, Kili. I have had him for 5 months he has been happy health and friendly. I changed his food to an organic hamster formula a little over a month ago. Two weeks ago I noticed he drank a substantial amount of water, about 4x as much as he usually does, this led to excessive urination. That same week I found maggots in his bedding in the wet spots, I cleaned them out and have not seen any since. A few days later I noticed he started to smell very strongly, and much different than usual. His behavior has not changed, but I am concerned with the amount of water he is drinking and the smell.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Problems with drinking can be serious. I'm glad you noticed it. The Expert will know what to do. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Kili?

No, I think that’s it.

11/19/2017
Joan
Joan, Vet Tech

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 35+ years. I would like to assist you with Killi. I appologise for the delay. The question was found in Cat Vet and just sent over to me. I need to ask a few questions to best assist you.

Is Killi still Drinking a lot of water and urinating a lot?

Doe the smell of the urine smell seety or fruity?

What is in the new food? Is there a lot of fruit? Higher on Protien?

Joan

he drinks a lot and urinates a lot. It smells like sunflower seeds. I don’t know if you have ever smelled sunflower butter but that is what it smells like to me. His new food is called “Sunseed Vita Prima Dwarf Hamster Formula” it’s not fruity it’s has a lot of grain and seeds in it.

Thank you for the information. Dwarf Hamsters are predisposed to being Diabetics. The excessive thirst and the excessive urination are primary factors in a Hamster with Diabetes. The change in diet may have triggered it.

The hamster needs a High protein and Fiber diet. The food should be at least 20% protien with no corn, limited sunflower seeds, no sugards or molasses in the diet. You can add some Puffed Wheat, Puffed Rice and a little scrambled egg into the diet to add some fiber and protien into the diet.

I would also consider going back to the old diet since Killi seemed better with it. Becareful no fruit, corn, peas and limit sunglower seeds.

I would suggest a Vet vist to confirm this and they may suggest testing at home for glucose and Ketones. http://www.smallangelsrescue.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/SARI-Dwarf-Hamsters-Diabetes-Info.pdf

Please hit reply for discussion on this matter.

Joan

Thank you so much. I did some research online and thought it was probably Diabetes but wanted someone who was smart to confirm for me. Thank you, ***** *****

Youare welcome! I am happy to assist. If I have addressed all your concerns, please take a moment to rate my service 5 Stars. I am not paid by the site until I have a positive rating.

Joan

Joan
Joan, Vet Tech
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Joan
Good. I changed his diet took the food out that he can’t have. He seems to be doing a lot better, he doesn’t stink and seems happier. I can’t seem to find the glucose test things anywhere though, I looked online and everything.

You can ask the Pharmacist to help you find Ketostix. They should be able to help, but with the new heathy diet he should be feeling a lot better.

Happy Holidays.

Joan