Cat

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

I gave my cat too much deworming from the vet, second week.

I gave my cat...

I gave my cat too much deworming from the vet, second week. Should have given 1 ml and gave him 3 ml.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with your cat?

We were doing 2nd week deworming and gave 2 more ml than he needs.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does your cat seem to hurt?

No reaction yet it was 2 hours ago.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Can you see anything that looks wrong or different?

No

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. Nothing visually obvious. Is your cat eating normally?

Yes

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. No appetite problems. Is your cat having trouble peeing or pooing?

Hasnt gone yet.

Veterinarian's Assistant: How is your cat behaving differently?

No.

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. No obvious behavior changes. What is the cat's name?

Nicodemus

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Nicodemus?

No. Just that he is 10 lbs and should have been given 1 ml istead of 3.

11/18/2017
Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Cat Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help with this concern about Nicodemus.

Fortunately, there's quite a large margin of safety with most every deworming medication with which I'm familiar; therefore, no harm has been done by his receiving 3 instead of 1 ml.

He might develop diarrhea in 12-24 hours which he might have done anyway, even with his normal dosage, since loose stools can be seen after worming drugs are given. But, this should be fairly short-lived and resolve fairly quickly.

I'm happy to reassure you that he'll be fine. Deb

Thank you. I too read about diaria, dut wasnt sure because it wasnt an over the counter dewormer.

You're more than welcome.

It would take much more of an overdose than this for any significant issues to be a concern which is, obviously, a good thing:)

Deb

Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Cat Veterinarian