Cat

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

We have a cat in our house, he is spraying yellowish,

Customer Question
Hello, we have a...

Hello, we have a cat in our house, he is spraying yellowish, odorless, greasy fluid, it sometime seems like it has sugar in it. Do you have any idea what this could be?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the cat's name and age?

His name is Kaspar (we are from Iceland) and is 4 years old.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Kaspar?

He moved here with his owner nearly one year ago, there are a lot of cats in the neighbourhood, maybe that makes him anxious? Sometimes he just wants to sleep but other days he

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Cat
Other days he is in and out of the house constantly.
11/18/2017
Cat Vet: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 8 months ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Where is he spraying this fluid?

Can you share pictures of it?

Does it have an odor?

Is Kaspar neutered?

Is this happening on vertical or horizontal surfaces?

Hello :)
He is spraying it on furnitures near the floor or on the floor. It does not have an odor, or at least not a smelly one. Kaspar is neutered. I don't have any pictures now but I will send when this happens next time.

This will be very helpful. Thank you.

I watched him spray on the sofa today and the fluid was clear but with a little yellow tone.

This really sounds like urine but I'd like to see the greasiness you're referring to and hopefully what appears to be sugar, as well. My concern is that this may well be a sign of a urinary tract infection and crystals in the urine. If so, he's going to need to see your vet for a urinalysis and treatment. Chances are your vet will want to switch him to a urinary care diet to help prevent infections/crystals and such if this is diagnosed. The diet change may be long term to prevent further issues as cats who have urinary crystals are prone to urinary blockage which can be life-threatening. Prevention is the best approach.

Post the pictures when you have them, please. I'll be on the lookout for them.