Cat

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Can't stand, falls over seems dizzy, thumping his tail.

Customer Question
Can't stand, falls over...

Can't stand, falls over seems dizzy, thumping his tail. Seemed fine this morning, came in tonight very sick

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name and age?

Freakshow, probably around 5. Current with rabies

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Freakshow?

No, he seemed fine this morning has not been sick at all, no cough or sneeze. eating well occaissional vomitting.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Cat
11/17/2017
Cat Vet: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

ok

My initial concern was the feline vestibular syndrome more common at this time of year. I can't rule out ingestion of a prescription or recreational drug or other chemical, however, if Freakshow had been outside .

There are myriad causes of vestibular signs in cats but the most common is idiopathic (unknown cause) vestibular disease accounting for 43% of cases of peripheral (not involving the brain) vestibular disease in one report. There is a higher incidence of this disorder in summer and fall, suggesting an evironmental or infectious cause. Prevalence is higher in certain regions of the United States, especially the Northeast. Clinical signs are often severe, with some combination of circling, rolling, ataxia ("drunken sailor"), head tilt, and rapid nystagmus (eyes flicking back and forth) quite evident. There's no sex or breed predilection and the average age of affected cats is 4 years. Although usually acute and nonprogressive in nature, there have been some reports of clinical signs progressing for up to 3 weeks. Signs usually resolve rapidly without definitive treatment, usually in the first week, although some patients may have a persistent head tilt. Diagnosis is through excluding other known causes of peripheral vestibular disease; there's no definitive diagnostic testing nor is there definitive treatment. Some cats may require fluid and antiemetic therapy if vomiting and/or anorexia doesn't resolve the first day. Are you seeing a head tilt or nystagmus?

No head tilt it nystagmus.

Thank you. No head tilt nor nystagmus doesn't rule out the feline vestibular disorder but doesn't support it. Is Freakshow improving, stable, or worsening, please?

He seems to be the same, but was able to stand for a couple minutes. He also held his head up.

That's good to hear. You can continue to monitor him at home. Worsening should prompt the attention of a vet who would treat symptomatically and supportively as there's rarely a specific diagnosis made in such a patient and so there's no specific "antidote". If he'll accept being confined in a quiet and dimly lit room, he may be more comfortable as long as he has ready access to his box, food, and water. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?