Cat

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Cat

8 month old kitten has been having really watery lately and

Hey my 8 month old...
Hey my 8 month old kitten has been having really watery poops lately and I just saw a bit of my hair in his stool and a bit of blood. He is still running around active and eating and drinking acting normal. I am worried though
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the kitten?
Customer: Nope that is it. He is still playful and running around and eating. His poops also smell pretty bad and stink up the room but we think that may be the diet so we may change the dry food we give him
Customer reply replied 26 days ago
I just want to know if it'll pass and he'll be ok since he's still acting normal or if needs to go to the vet immediately
11/16/2017
Dr. Beth
Dr. Beth, Veterinarian

Hi, I'm Dr. Beth and I'll do my best to help you today! To make sure I don't miss anything, please give me a moment to review your question - I am not the fastest typist so it may take me a few moments to type out a response.

Thank you for trusting us with your questions, this service is used for general information only and is not a substitute for a veterinarian patient relationship by examination.

Blood is always alarming to see, but with him acting otherwise normal, I don't think this is something you have to rush him to a doctor for tonight-

Has he had a kitten check up recently? Wondering if he had any parasite check or deworming.

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
Okay yeah he has been okay and the watery poop has been recently. He might have just gotten my hair out of the sink or something and ate somr. So it may just pass theb
Customer reply replied 26 days ago
Yeah he was fixed a few months ago and all was good. We adopted him this summer no issue aside from a few ear mites but that was taken csre of before he got to us

Yes with seeing some hair in the stool, it shouldn't be toxic but may be causing a bit of irritation as it passes out.

It never hurts to take a stool sample to the office for a parasite check, but if the loose stool an/or blood is lasting more than a few days, or they are showing more signs of not feeling well, it would be best to have him checked out in person.

Some cats can develop sensitivities to things in their food, but changing things can potentially throw them off as well - it's not likely to make a huge difference changing his food at least for the short term.

Does that help?

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
Yeah he's still Normal and this is the second time I've seen blood but it was more solid this time and if it gets worse I'm gonna bring him if he changes at all. I don't have a carrier here with me tonight we let someone borrow it so I just panicked a bit so hopefully the hair passes and I'm gonna keep him away from it feom now on
Customer reply replied 26 days ago
Yeah thanks ! It made me less worried without me being about to get him checked out today or tmo

Kittens eat everything! But yes I think that is fine to watch him for tonight and see how he seems tomorrow.

If you have any other questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

If the information I've provided has been helpful, I hope you'll take a moment to rate my service positively by clicking on the star rating system (or if you are not seeing the stars you can leave a written rating of 1-5, 5 being great service). Until you issue a rating of 3 or better, the website will not compensate me for helping you, and taking the time to answer these questions helps me to support my family. You'll still be able to chat with me even after giving a rating, at no further charge on this thread. My goal is to give you 5 star service - keep in mind you are rating only my help, not any site or interface issues you might have. It is valuable feedback for me and for other pet owners as they seek help for their pets.

If you'd like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: https://www.justanswer.com/veterinary/expert-drbethg/?rpt=3800

Dr. Beth
Dr. Beth, Veterinarian
Dr. Beth
Dr. Beth
Dr. Beth, Veterinarian