Cat

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

He seems to have lost a lot of weight. He seems to be pretty…

Customer Question
He seems to have...

He seems to have lost a lot of weight. He seems to be pretty low energy and his eyes are really runny. I've also noticed his urine is almost neon yellow. He's still eating but I'm not sure if it's as much as usual.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the cat. What is the cat's name and age?

Mitchell. He's a rescue so I'm not entirely sure, but he's probably 6 or 7.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Mitchell?

He's had a history of maring his territory at home when he was around another cat. He'd pee everywhere. But since he moved in with me where he's the only pet, that hasn't been a problem until the last month or so, when he started to go outside the litter box sometimes even when it was freshly cleaned.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Cat
11/14/2017
Cat Vet: Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Hello, thanks for the question.My main concern here is a liver condition called Hepatic Lipidosis. This is where a cat loses a great deal of weight for some reason (often unknown) and they go into secondary liver failure.The diagnosis is made with bloodwork.The treatment is with nutritional support. I almost always put a feeding tube in these cats. They’re well tolerated and they allow you to treat adequately.Here’s a nice link on the condition with more info:
http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=1455I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.