Cat

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Kitty has been diagnosed with FIP has been eating like a…

Customer Question
Kitty has been diagnosed...

Kitty has been diagnosed with FIP has been eating like a little piglet been feeding high protein diet and giving daily prednisone initial tap was thoracic clear fluid when diagnosis made . Two days ago abdomen had to be tapped removed 400cc now extremely lethargic comes for food but just cannot eat

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the kitten. What is the kitten's name?

TYKE

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about TYKE?

I'm just wondering if it is the virus or could he be dehydrated

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Cat
11/12/2017
Cat Vet: Dr. Beth, Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Dr. Beth
Dr. Beth, Veterinarian

Hi, I'm Dr. Beth and I'll do my best to help you today! To make sure I don't miss anything, please give me a moment to review your question - I am not the fastest typist so it may take me a few moments to type out a response.

Thank you for trusting us with your questions, this service is used for general information only and is not a substitute for a veterinarian patient relationship by examination.

Poor guy, FIP is one of the most awful things I see when working with cats. That is a very large amount of fluid they drained off.

They usually feel progressively crummy for how the virus affects them, and even though they can have a ton of fluid present, like in their belly or chest, it is in the wrong place and they can't use it like they need to. So oddly, they can have a lot of fluid in their body, but be overall dehydrated. That certainly could affect Tyke's appetite and overall strength.

Are you trying to feed him canned food or something else?

Do you know how long ago it was that they removed fluid from Tyke's chest?