Cat

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Cat

My cat has a foul smell coming from his nose. Oliver, ten

Customer Question
My cat has a foul...
My cat has a foul smell coming from his nose
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Oliver, ten yo
JA: How old is Oliver?
Customer: Ten
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Oliver?
Customer: No
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Cat
11/12/2017
Cat Vet: Dr. Peck, Veterinarian replied 1 month ago
Dr. Peck
Dr. Peck, Veterinarian

Greetings, I’m Dr. Peck, a small animal veterinarian in general practice. Hopefully I might be of some help. One moment while I reply…

Disclaimer: This communication is for discussion purposes only. Without seeing an animal in person, a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship does not exist, and therefore I am unable to diagnose, prognose, or treat. Any comments made during discussion here are based on the information provided and are simply my thoughts regarding what I’d be considering were this type of case presented to me in person. The best recommendation for any veterinary-related concern is to seek veterinary assessment in person with your local veterinarian.

I would suspect either periodontal disease / infection (e.g. an abscessed tooth), or an upper respiratory bacterial infection. Both of these are common in cats. If periodontal disease is present, a dental procedure under general anesthesia is indicated, your vet could provide you with an estimate on cost for that. If an upper respiratory infection is present, your vet would likely prescribe antibiotics, likely either a liquid to be given at home or a one time injection administered by your veterinarian. Typically bacterial infections in cats are secondary to a viral infection, so an antiviral supplement may be directed. Other supportive treatments like fluids may be suggested as well. There are other possible causes besides these two things, but these are the most common and what I'd be thinking of evaluating for first, before anything else. You vet may have different recommendations depending on their physical examination findings. I would schedule to get Oliver in during regular business hours. No at home intervention would be suggested at this time until he can be assessed in person.

I hope my thoughts are helpful to you. Let me know if you have any follow-up questions, simply write me back! I’ll reply as soon as I’m able. Otherwise, please be sure to kindly rate using the stars, so that I receive credit for helping with your question today (this is how professionals on this site are compensated for their time). Thanks! – Dr. Peck.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you

You're very welcome. Please remember to rate using the stars, this is the best way to thank me, it is much appreciated - thanks! - Dr.Peck.

Cat Vet: Dr. Peck, Veterinarian replied 28 days ago

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Samuel Peck
Dr. Peck
Dr. Peck
Dr. Peck, Veterinarian