Cat

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

My cat has little scabby bumps on her neck, head, and by her…

Customer Question
My cat has little...

My cat has little scabby bumps on her neck, head, and by her ears I've given her a flea med a bath and a flea pill but I'm not seeing any fleas? She did have fleas when we got her and treated them but these just started popping up and she is scratching ALOT

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the Veterinarian. What is the cat's name and age?

Buckeye and 7 monthes

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Buckeye?

We took her to the vet when she did have fleas and they gave us a pill and a shampoo which we used and everything was fine we even bombed the house to make sure they were all gone. I just don't want her miserable

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Cat
11/11/2017
Cat Vet: Dr. Deb, Cat Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Cat Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help with this concern about Buckeye.

Are the places you mentioned....neck, head and by her ears...the only place that she's itchy? No other places on her body are involved?

Thanks, Deb

Those are the only places I have seen her really scratching and that I have felt the scabs

Thanks for the answer to my question. Please give me a few minutes to type back a response for you. Deb

She did have fleas when we first got her and we took her to the vet who gave her a pill and a special shampoo which solved the problem. We also flea bombed the house. This was like 2 months ago and I'm not seeing any fleas which is what has me worried.

While there can be several different reasons for a cat to be itchy (including fleas as you mentioned), the first thing I'd want to rule out when they're itchy from the neck up is going to be a food allergy. I know this doesn't seem intuitive or logical but I see these sort of allergies all the time.

This sort of allergy is typically secondary to food that a cat has been eating for a while--it's not new food as you might think. While it's difficult to prove, when I suspect that this might be the underlying cause for the problem, I suggesting changing to a hypoallergenic or novel protein diet such as Z/D (available from your vet) or Natural Ba***** *****mited Ingredients, Nature's Variety Instincts line, Evo Duck or Venison, Nature's Variety Frozen Raw Medallions (I recommend that they be zapped in the microwave for 10-15 seconds on each side).

Some cats will even respond to grain free foods, too, so something to consider.

It can sometimes take a few weeks (sometimes up to a month or longer) for these patients to improve, though, so it's not necessarily a "quick fix".

To help with the scratching, otc Benadryl may be helpful at a dose of 1/2 of a 25 mg tablet twice a day for the average 10 pound cat. Sedation can sometimes be seen as a side effect. There are stronger drugs which your vet would have to dispense if the Benadryl doesn't seem to calm the scratching.

I suppose fleas might still be the underlying cause for her skin problem but I'd expect other places on her body to be affected...especially on her back, near her tail. The fact that she's not itchy there (and you haven't seen any fleas) makes this less likely to be the problem, in my experience.

I hope this helps, Deb