Cat

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

I live in the mountains pretty secluded lots of prey to pick…

Customer Question
I live in the...

I live in the mountains pretty secluded lots of prey to pick off cats. I recently have a male cat who is 14 yrs old. He's pretty big and healthy in size. I feed him cat food but I do catch him outside at night catching mice& even small rabbits! When he came home tonight to eat like he does every night I noticed his tail was drooping like a rainbow. I also noticed his fur messed up a bit on his tail and hind end but no missing patches of hair. He won't let me touch him like that to check him out. I was wondering if he could of got into trouble with animal and got hurt or if it's nothing. He seems to be acting normal otherwise.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name?

Ben

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Ben?

He hasn't had any shots. Other than that he's pretty healthy as far as I know.

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Cat
11/11/2017
Cat Vet: Dr. Peck, Veterinarian replied 5 months ago
Dr. Peck
Dr. Peck, Veterinarian

Greetings, I’m Dr. Peck, a small animal veterinarian in general practice. Hopefully I might be of some help. One moment while I reply…

Disclaimer: This communication is for discussion purposes only. Without seeing an animal in person, a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship does not exist, and therefore I am unable to diagnose, prognose, or treat. Any comments made during discussion here are based on the information provided and are simply my thoughts regarding what I’d be considering were this type of case presented to me in person. The best recommendation for any veterinary-related concern is to seek veterinary assessment in person with your local veterinarian.

It could certainly be nothing if there is no obvious wound, but it also could be a bite from another animal. Cat bites are notorious for being initially difficult to find, they are often needle-like puncture wounds. Sometimes they go a few days before turning into an abscess that ruptures which then becomes suddenly much more obvious to owners. If you have access to a nearby vet you could take him in during their next working hours to get him checked out. If not, given your circumstances you reported, you might elect to monitor and see how he does and whether any concerns become more obvious or not, and then seek care if obvious concerns arise.

Let me know if you have any follow-up questions, simply write me back! I’ll reply as soon as I’m able. Otherwise, please be sure to kindly rate using the stars, so that I receive credit for helping with your question today (this is how professionals on this site are compensated for their time). Thanks! – Dr. Peck.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Samuel Peck
Dr. Peck
Dr. Peck
Dr. Peck, Veterinarian