Cat

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

What is the black stuff, is it a problem?

Customer Question
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Cat
11/11/2017
Cat Vet: Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Hi. My name is***** Thank you for your question. Can you take a picture of this black material and post it for me to see?
No I cannot. Can you tell without a picture. He had the same thing two years ago and it went away. He had black stuff on his pallet, it also went away.
the black stuff is in his mouth? Is he eating normally?
It went away.
When darker material is in the oral cavity, a big suspicion for it is something that is there due to eating / licking it. I would be more worried if there was pain, decreased eating, bad odor, blood, or swelling. I would monitor for these.
It went away. That was two years ago. He does not complain about anything and eat well.
That is great that he’s not complaining and eating well. If the black stuff comes back, try to get a picture of it. I wouldn’t be overly worried if it hasn’t been seen since that long ago.
The black stuff is now on his bumps
Bumps that are where? If you try to wipe them, does it come off?
I am sorry Dr Bruce the black stuff is on his gums. Not his pallet.
Sorry for my delay. If the dark material is on the gums, it could be from what he’s licking. Some can have specks of dark due to acne.