Cat

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Cat has had at least 4 episodes of emesis today. Most have…

Customer Question
Cat has had at least...
Cat has had at least 4 episodes of emesis today. Most have been clear. None have had food or fur. It is not uncommon for her to have emesis every few weeks consisting of fur or undigestes food occasionally phlegm and water.
Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Cat
11/10/2017
Cat Vet: Cher, Feline Specialist replied 5 months ago
Cher
Cher, Feline Specialist

Hi, I'm Cher. Welcome to JustAnswer.

I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply, shortly.

For now we removed both food and water as it appears she is drinking a fair amount after each episode of emesis. I do have zofran 4 mg ODT available

Hello, again.

Sometimes, emesis can be caused by excess stomach acid and/or acid reflux, which causes nausea. For the moment, you can give her 1/4 of a 10mg. (regular strength) tablet of Pepcid AC, an acid controller (generic is called Famotidine and is less expensive), which is found in all pharmacies, supermarkets, stores like Walmart, Target, etc. I would give her the 1/4 tablet dose in the morning and then wait about an hour to feed her, to let the medication do its job and then give her another dose 12 hours later, again, about an hour before a meal.

https://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/drug-library/library/famotidine-pepcid-for-dogs-and-cats/

-------------

Removing the food, can cause her stomach to become empty, and this can cause excess acid to occur. However, I understand why you did it today, since she did vomit several times and has never done that before. She's drinking a lot, because she's losing fluid in the emesis. However, at her senior age, she is more prone to develop diabetes, hyperthyroidism, liver and kidney issues, to which the emesis could be related. Or, she could be experiencing an allergy to a component or components in her food. She also might have nibbled on something she shouldn't have, like a toxic or irritating houseplant or flowers, if you have any in the house, another non-food item, human medication that dropped on the floor, etc.

She could be experiencing intestinal upset for another reason, and for this, you would need to have her seen by her vet in person and do some testing and possibly imaging, to diagnose and treat the problem.

I would not give her any Zofran before discussing this with her veterinarian.

I hope all will be well with your furry girl and please let me know how she's doing. Thanks!

Your satisfaction is my ultimate goal and I welcome any follow-up questions you may have on this subject, at no additional charge.

At the conclusion of our correspondence, your 5-star rating will be most appreciated, as this will enable me to continue to send quality answers to additional clients and be recognized by the website for my assistance.

Kind regards,

Cher

Cher
Cher
Cher, Feline Specialist