Cat

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Cat

She's nauseous and cerenia doesn't seem to be helping plus,

She's nauseous and cerenia...

She's nauseous and cerenia doesn't seem to be helping plus, she has had the cerenia for 5 days in a row and it's time to give a break from it. She is a 10 yr cat and has appt w internal Med vet on Monday. She does have a hx of IBD.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the cat eat anything unusual?

No, I don't believe so. She does have two subq tumors that r cancerous but unfortunately needle biopsy was not definitive on type of cancer. Oncologist does not think her nausea is been triggered by the tumors. She also has had low vitamin B so she's been getting B 12 injections for the last 4 weeks. What I have noticed is each time she goes on a round of anabiotic's, she gets much better but then a week later start feeling puny again.

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. The Expert will know what to do. What is the cat's name?

Hoppie. I'm just trying to figure out the appropriate dosage for the Zofran and that it is for sure OK that she had a dose of the cerinia this morning.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the cat?

Her weight is down to 5lbs

10/20/2017
Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Cat Veterinarian

Hello. My name is***** and I am a veterinarian that can answer your question. I understand Hoppie has a history of nausea (i.e. not eating, vomiting?) and has been treated with Cerenia for 5 days and vitamin B12 injections for the last 4 weeks. It sounds like no steroids have been trialed, which is the treatment of choice for confirmed IBD cases. However, older cats are also at risk for intestinal lymphoma and steroid treatment should not be given right away in that situation. A biopsy of the intestines are usually necessary to differentiate between IBD and lymphoma. There are other causes of nausea including liver, kidney, and pancreas inflammation.

You have a question about the dose for Zofran. Is that correct?

Hello Dr Perry, yes, your assessment is right on the money. That's exactly what has been suggested up to this point. And that holding off on the steroids until we find out what type cancer the tumors are. She has an appointment with internal medicine back on Monday. We will discuss the option of getting intestinal biopsy at that time. We did speak with the surgeon on Friday as to whether the tumors could be removed but unfortunately they're fairly well affixed to the bony structures underneath and I think it's just too much drama for her to go to given other issues going on simultaneously. And that it may in fact Be cancer in gut also.
But anyway, yes the dosage for Zofran is really what I'm needing to know.
I don't think the phone call is needed at this time but, thank you.

No problem. The phone call is automatically offered by the website, but I can answer your question with text only. I am typing my answer now. Please bear with me a few more minutes.

Hoppie's Zofran dose is 2 mg. The tablets can come as small as 4 mg, so the dose is 1/2 of those tablets every 6-12 hours (as needed). Hopefully those other tumors will not cause too much complication. A bigger biopsy should be diagnostic, or simply focusing on the intestinal issue and if lymphoma is diagnosed then the chemotherapy for that may be appropriate for the other tumors.

Please let me know if you have any other questions. I am here to help. If you have no other questions, I would appreciate a positive review. You may leave up to 5 stars when ready. Your review helps connect Experts with other customers, so your input is highly appreciated.

Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Cat Veterinarian
Great, thank you very much Dr Perry! This is the first time I have used this website although I've been aware of it for a few years. So far so good and I'm quite likely to use it again based in how helpful and rapid your response was!

Thank you. I am happy you found it helpful. I hope Hoppie gets the care she needs. Take care.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
***** *****
Hi Dr Perry,
The Zofran has really helped my cat. We saw Internal Med vet yesterday, she started Hoppie on prednisolone, Flagyl and Atopica(?). Hopefully this is the turnaround point for Hoppie! Thank you again for your help.Cheers,
Carla

I am glad to hear that. Thank you very much for the update.

Scott Perry
Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Cat Veterinarian