Cat

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

I have two 6ish week old kittens. I don't know ages exactly,

I have two 6ish...

I have two 6ish week old kittens. I don't know ages exactly, mother's is feral and had 5 kittens which she and kittens are in my back yard. The two I have were wandering around. I have had them a couple of weeks now. We have had 3vet visits so far. Kittens had worms. I think worms that we can see are gone now but vet says they still test positive for Guardia, Coccidia. He had me give them Metronidazole 1 mil to each once a day. At 5 days he had me stop and give them .25 mil of Albon for 5 days. Finished that but they say kittens still have the two worms (Concordia, guardian). Kittens weight was just under a pound and now they are 1.5 lbs for one and 1.2 for the other. He has given me new dosage of Albion at 0.4 mil for each kitty for 15 days. It was 0.1 the first time. Kitties aren't that much bigger now, does that seem like an awful lot? What are your thoughts, recommendations.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. There are all sorts of infestations the kitten can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the kitten's name?

There are 2 kittens, Sweet Pea is smallest and Mittens. Both are female.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the kitten?

Sorry, no just wondering about drug dosages. It is so hard on their little systems. The diarrhea is hard on them at the low dose. Giving so much at once for 15 days sounds excessive.

10/19/2017
Joan
Joan, Vet Tech

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 35+ years. I would like to assist you.

The dosage sounds right. Giardia and Coccdia are hard to get rid of because they are Protozoan parasites and can be resistant. It is important to clean with a bleach water solution after stools. I do suggest a Probiotic to help with the Gut flora when giving these antibiotics. I would also encourage the Kitten to take extra fluids like a broth, since the antibiotics can be dehydrating.

You can try adding 1/2 teaspoon full of pure canned pumpkin to help firm up the stools. The Coccdia and Giardia are tough parasites and the Vet is making sure to get them under control with the Antibiotics.

This is some information on Coccdia: https://vcahospitals.com/know-your-pet/coccidiosis-in-cats

Giardia: https://vcahospitals.com/know-your-pet/giardia-in-cats

Please hit replay to discuss this information.

Joan

Thank you so much for your answer. Dose just seemed large compared with first dosage amount. Kittens are still eating milk replacement with some kitten canned food, page chicken and some baby pate food, chicken also. Little one still likes her milk base. I have tried more watery and it didn't go over so well. Lol What probictic would you suggest? Yogurt for people but cats? I can try pumpkin and see if they accept it.
Did you mean that I need to clean their litter box with bleach water after every use?
Thank you again.

There is once you can get at the Pet supply called BeneBac or the Vet has Forte Flora but can be used for the Kittens. Coccidia and Giardia are tough to get rid of if not treated aggressively. Cleaning with the bleach water is a must. I even use a steamer when dealing with clean when the have giardia and coccdia since they give off OOcysts and they are light and can travel.

If I have addressed yourt concerns, please take a moment to rate my service 5 stars. I am not paid by the site until I have recieved a positive rating.

Joan

Joan
Joan, Vet Tech
Be glad to give you 5 stars. Thanks again.

Thank you so much!

Joan

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Joan