Cat

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Cat

I need a flea treatment that works! Is there anything new on

the market that I can...
I need a flea treatment that works! Is there anything new on the market that I can get. I have tried Advantage, Advantage II, Advantage multi, Frontline, Advocate, Revolution, various Flea collars and several sprays and none work anymore! Some worked for awhile but the fleas have adapted to them. I am a senior citizen and I am poor but I want my cats to live in comfort not misery! I think these fleas are slowly killing them! I can not fumigate and my funds are limited but I will happily give up something to be able to help them. Please give me some hope! Thanks!
10/19/2017
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I AM NOT SET UP TO MAKE PHONE CALLS, BUT I WOULD BE HAPPY TO ANSWER ANY QUESTIONS YOU HAVE ONLINE. THE WEBSITE SENDS THE REQUESTS; NOT MYSELF. So, when you are dealing with fleas, it does take a lot more than just the preventatives to get rid of them. They were made for flea prevention and not treatment. The problem is that 95% of the flea population are in the immature forms in the environment. You will never see them. If you want to get flea problems under control; you have to get that population under control. I know you said you cannot fumigate, but can you set off flea bombs yourself in the house? If not, is hiring and exterminator to do a flea treatment an option? One of those two things needs to be done in order to get it under control. The yard needs to be treated as well, but you can get someone to spread some granules or just have an exterminator take care of it. The problem with all those topical products is that they do not kill fast enough or with enough efficacy through the month to get fleas under control. The best options for cats are the oral Comfortis or topical Bravecto. They will kill within 24 hours, so fleas do not have a chance to lay eggs and will maintain >95% efficacy through the month (or 3 months with Bravecto). These are prescription only products, though, so your vet would have to fill it. Those other products have anywhere from a 50-75% efficacy by the time you get to 4 weeks. Now, you can try to apply the Advantage II every 2 weeks instead. It may increase the efficacy. It may not still be as good as those other 2 options, but it is an alternative if not able to get a vet or afford the Comfortis or Bravecto. Once you have a flea problem established, though, you are already at least 2-3 months behind getting it under control. Once you institute the proper steps with environmental control (may need to do twice, 1 month apart) and better preventatives; it may still be 3 months before you stop seeing fleas. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. IF YOU ARE SATISFIED WITH MY ANSWER, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get compensated for helping you, and we can still continue our conversation after rating. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Asking more specific questions usually helps a lot. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you, ***** *****! You are very kind to answer me! I never let my cats go outside so do I still need to treat the yard? Is there any chance that Cedarcide would help inside? Thanks again for your time!

You are very welcome. Not familiar with it, but let me check it out.

I am a little skeptical of it, but it is worth a shot. As far as sprays go, I like Knockout the best because it has a really good insect growth regulator. The problem with trying to treat the house with sprays is that it is almost impossible to get where all the immature forms like to hide. That could be carpet, in furniture, under furniture (including tables, chests, entertainment units, etc) and any dark out of the way area. That is why a fogger or exterminator (they know exactly where to treat) work best. But it is certain worth a shot. I would wash all bedding in hot water and vacuum daily for a week (carpets, rugs, between couch cushions, etc), but empty it outside. Let me know if you have other concerns.

Hi David,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Pee Pants. How is everything going?

Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian