Cat

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Cat

We are a farm located in a very remote area: a/k/a kitty…

Hello. We are a...

Hello. We are a farm located in a very remote area: a/k/a kitty dump heaven. Defective humans throw their cats out of cars and they find us. The most recent appears to be a very young male. We've been taking care of (feeding, fixing wounds) for about 3 weeks now. He has responded to all and is, in fact a very loving boy. The only thing I can seem to clear up is a heavy, crusty red/brown gunk in both eyes. It clears with warm towel for a day or two then is back. He has no other visable symptoms. No fever, sneezing, weesing, fever or skin irritations. We are transitioning him to be an indoor kitty. He is litter trained, etc. It does seem to get better, or at least not as bad if he is indoors for a few days. When it's heavy he does have a bit of photophobia, but not distressing. As this is the 44th cat we have rescued this summer, I can't get him to a vet till the end of the month and was just wanting to make sure there was nothing more I can do for him in the meantime. Thank you.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Is the kitten bleeding a lot?

No actual blood from any where. He had a wound on his leg, small like he caught it on something. When we found him, it was only clear discharge and loss of fur where he had licked it. Cleared up in 5 days with topical spray antibiotic. Perfectly healed now. Only known .

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the kitten's name?

We call him Sko. He has4 white boots.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Sko?

Not that I know of. He has no skin ailments, nor breathing problems. He has doubled his weight in3 weeks( was skin and bones) does not paw at eyes, no other visable symptoms anywhere . also, no ticks or fleas.

10/18/2017
Cher
Cher, Feline Specialist

Hi, I'm Cher. Welcome to JustAnswer.

I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply, shortly.

Hello, again.

Is the eye gunk just in the inside corner of his eye or covering most of the outer part of the eyes, on eyelashes, eyelids, outer corner, etc.?

Are his eyelids stuck together, making opening his eyes difficult, until you soften the matter and wipe it away?

Thanks for your additional information. After you reply, please allow me a short while to compose and send your detailed answer.

Best wishes,

Cher

It is only inside. And if I haven't seen him during the day, then by night it can get heavy, but not all the time. Most days it is just like a gooey little bugger that coats the inside bot***** *****d. I think I mind it being there more that he, as he is acting quite normal (playing, purring, begging for belly rubs) when it's there.
Thank you.
Best.
Tj

Hi, again, Tj.

Thank you for your very helpful reply.

I had your entire answer ready to send, when it disappeared into cyberspace! So sorry for the wait. I will write it again.

First, I wanted to thank you for doing so much for these abandoned and homeless kitties; you and your staff are GREAT!!

From your description, it's possible that Sko may have an eye infection, corneal scratch, abrasion or ulcer, or a tiny foreign particle in his eye. He also may have the feline herpes virus (which is not the same as human herpes), which typically affects the eyes and also, upper respiratory infection (kitty cold) symptoms are present. It's good that you're not seeing any URI symptoms, but this may be the start of one or an indication he has FHV-1 (feline herpes). It would be advisable to have him examined in person by a vet, as soon as possible. I'm assuming that you work with a low-cost vet all the time, considering the number of cats you care for. After a diagnosis is made, he will be prescribed the most appropriate treatment.

For the moment, continue what you're doing to wipe away the discharge and apply warm, moist compresses several times a day. You can also put a warm, moist, wrung out regular tea bag on the eye for a few minutes (as long as he'll tolerate) a few times a day. The tanins will help draw out infection.

Until you can have him seen in person, you can try to get some Terramycin, which is a mild antibiotic eye ointment for cats, from a pet supply or grain and feed store, or order online. You can compare prices and request overnight delivery, if needed; here are a couple of suggestions:

https://www.entirelypets.com/terramycin35gm.html

-------------

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=9675

-------------

You can also purchase a product that helps with feline herpes, containing L-lysine; some are Viralys, Enisyl, which are gels and chews, and it also comes in powder form, which you would add to his food. Follow directions on the package for dosing, depending on his age and weight. Here is more information:

https://www.chewy.com/vetoquinol-enisyl-f-lysine-cat-chews/dp/127903

------------------

I hope all will be well with Sko, and please let me know how he's doing. He sounds like a real little darling!

Your satisfaction is my ultimate goal and I welcome any follow-up questions you may have.

At the conclusion of our correspondence, your 5-star rating will be most appreciated, as this will enable me to continue to send quality answers to additional clients.

Best regards,

Cher

Cher
Cher, Feline Specialist

Thank you so much for your great rating and most generous bonus; they are highly appreciated!

If you would like to request me for future questions, just begin your post with "For Cher Only" and I will be glad to help!

I'll be in touch with you in a few days to see how Sko is coming along.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Cher
Cher
Cher
Cher, Feline Specialist