Cat

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Cat

I have brought my 7.5 lb cat to a vacation home that has

Customer Question
fleas. I applied cheristin on...
I have brought my 7.5 lb cat to a vacation home that has fleas. I applied cheristin on Sept 21st. She is scratching from fleas. Can I apply Advantage since I don't have any cheristin or is it too soon?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the Veterinarian. What is the cat's name?
Customer: Spud
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Spud?
Customer: No he has tolerated Advantage in the past but my vet told me in September when Spud was there that fleas are immune to aAdvantage. Spud is 13 years old.
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Cat
10/18/2017
Cat Vet: Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian replied 1 month ago
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I AM NOT SET UP TO MAKE PHONE CALLS, BUT I WOULD BE HAPPY TO ANSWER ANY QUESTIONS YOU HAVE ONLINE. THE WEBSITE SENDS THE REQUESTS; NOT MYSELF. Yes, I would apply Advantage now. In fact, I would probably apply Advantage again in 2 weeks. The fleas aren't necessarily immune. The efficacy isn't that good after 2 weeks. Plus, it just doesn't kill fast enough to prevent the fleas from laying eggs. I am not sure how long you will be in the vacation home, but if you can have the owner call an exterminator to do a flea treatment, that may help a lot. 95% of the fleas are the immature forms in the environment. You will never see them, but if those aren't taken care of, no topical medication besides Bravecto will make a significant improvement in the flea population in a short amount of time. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. IF YOU ARE SATISFIED WITH MY ANSWER, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get compensated for helping you, and we can still continue our conversation after rating. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Asking more specific questions usually helps a lot. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

Hello. I was just following up to see how Spud is doing and to see if you have any other questions.

Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian