Cat

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Cat

You were so good in your advice to Tabby and I on Sep. 30. I…

Hi,Customer You were so good...
Hi,Customer You were so good in your advice to Tabby and I on Sep. 30. I followed it to the dot and consulted by phone with a vet here in Mazatlan. I don't know if you remember us but we had just moved from San DIego to Mazatlan on September 20th.
She's now eating and I have done all possible to keep her relaxed, having the least people coming into the house (hard to do with home repairs and contractors), but, everytime someone comes into the house leave her in my bedroom (seems her most confort zone) close the door, and noise is minimized. So she's relaxed, eating, and I have not let her to outside (to the internal patio) at all, so that she doesn't get all curious about exploring the outdoors again. That will come later when she is more adjusted. I have placed a security "pet gate' (like the ones for babies, in the front door, to minimize the risk of her going out (lkie ths had done once).
A few days ago, I noticed that some of her hair had fallen (right above her eye). I am attaching a photo. I was at the pikck of anxiety, googled it and it seems like it is ringworm, so it's a fungus. I don't want to take her to the vet because just going out in the carrier will stress her horribly again, so I read some advice online, which says that ringworm is a fungus, that it can be treated putting a little vinegar on the area (softly with a cotton pad), since vinegar is a natural anti fungus. I have done so, a few times, and she's fine with it. No problem. But I wanted to double check with you and to know what is your advice and if there is another remedy I should use and how long does ringworm take to heal (or rather the fungus that causes it to die)?
10/15/2017
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

I do remember! We were concerned that stress was causing her to be unwilling to eat and I'm so glad to hear that she's making a recovery and responding to her new surroundings positively.

The picture that came thorough looks blurry. Can you share another one that's more defined.

I'll try, it's a cell phone picture and she doesn't really let me take pictures. So I took 4 the other night, but since with one hand I have grab her in place, I think that the blur is caused by my hand maneuvering the phone at the same time I try to press the button for the pic. I'll send you the 4 pics. Unfortunately right now she's under my bed and I can reach her (of course.... who can reach a cat when she doesn't want to be reached?)
here are the pics I was able to get
20171008_213724.jpg2017100...jpg20171008_213809.jpg2017100...jpg20171008_213816.jpg2017100...jpg20171008_213635.jpg2017100...jpg
Here are the four pictures

Thanks so much. Does this area just look bald or crusty?

The area just looks bald, her white/pink skin. However, this morning it seemed to me that she had scratched herself with her nails, so there were two little red scratches. Not deep enough for blood to pour out...but, scratches where blood did show. So, that's part of my concern

I don't think this is ringworm based on the history and pictures. Typically with ringworm we see transmission from other animals and you've not mentioned such a history. It's also not crusty which is a hall mark of a ringworm lesion. I imagine she may have scratched this area and the fur eventually fell out. Believe it or not, this may be due to the stress from a few weeks back and she's just now showing symptoms. I'd use regular neosporin on this area twice daily (avoid getting it in the eye). If she's scratching it may be due to allergies, I'd use OTC human antihistamine Chlorpheniramine twice daily. 1-4mg can be given orally each time. Additionally, make sure she's on flea prevention for good measure.

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me (bottom of the page if using the app). A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Thank you so much!
Yes, I do believe it's the effect of stress, that was the first thing I thought of when I saw it, but it was late at night and I simply googled it and the following days I didn't have time to contact you until today.
Thank you again, you are so helpful and understanding.
Of course I will not forget rating your help today.
Have a great rest of the day.
Kindest regards, *****

You as well, Alicia. You know where to find me if you need any additional help. Always my pleasure to assist.

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse