Cat

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

I have two 12 week old kittens (rag doll cross) and they are…

Hi, I have two 12...
Hi, I have two 12 week old kittens (rag doll cross) and they are siblings - one male one female. My mate kitten suddenly displayed a hard lump under his ribs/tummy area today - wasn't there in the morning and by mid afternoon was quite obvious upon petting him. Have spoken to two emergency vets but they both said not to worry until it's been there a couple of days. However I am incredibly worried - it feel like a small marble under his skin, no wound visible. Please help x
10/14/2017
Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is Rebecca; I am a veterinarian. Please give me a moment to type my answer.

I've sat and watched him eat, from what I know it was a normal amount and he also had a wee afterwards which seemed a usual amount plus seemed like he passed with no difficulties. He is aware of the lump I believe as he has cleaned it quite a few times since I've become aware of it. He had his second vaccination jab (so did his sister) 5 days ago and they also had a worming tablet - both of them passed dead roundworms (I believe) but none for the last two days that I have seen. He is long haired and fluffy, whereas his sister has less of the ragdoll genes and is short haired. Hope this helps

I am sorry you are concerned about your kitten.

Is the lump painful to him when you touch it? Is he eating normally, and acting playful?

A hard lump suddenly showing up could be a infection under the skin (often from being bitten by another cat). These would probably be painful to the touch.

It could be a lump of fluid or blood from an injury. This will go away gradually with some time.

It is not unusual for dead roundworms to pass after a worming. It is good he is eating.

The only way to be sure what any lump is would be to do FNA, fine needle aspiration. We insert a fine sterile needle into the lump to get a sample to look at under a microscope.

Hi Rebecca, he seemed to eat his dinner normally and drink his kitten milk normally, and passed urine with no obvious difficulties. He hasn't cried out in pain if I've touched it but he gently pushes my hands away with his paws. I also thought it could be from playfighting as even though he is bigger than his sister, she is certainly more dominant - however there is no wound, and no evidence of fleas/ticks (they don't go outside)

It sounds like he is not having any effects from the lump. It does sound like it may be a little painful to him. If he is eating, urinating, his gums are pink, this is not an emergency. If the lump is unchanged or larger I would have your veterinarian check it and maybe do the FNA test. If it is getting smaller in a couple of days, it may go away on its own.

Does it feel warm at all?

I've just felt it and compared it to the temp of the rest of his body and it definitly feels hotter than the rest of him

If it feels warm, it may be an abscess/infection. If so, it may need lancing and/or antibiotics. Until you can take him to your veterinarian, you can try applying warm moist compresses.

Something like some kitchen roll tissues run under warm water, and trying to press them gently onto the lump? Would that work?

I would heat a washcloth that is wet in warm water or briefly in a microwave (not too hot!) and hold it on the lump.

If he will let you!

What might have caused an infection there? Simply playfighting? They are so well pampered and sleep/stay when we are at work in a safe room which is 100% kitten proof and they have everything they could need set up in different stations across the room (eating/sleeping/playing/litter etc) I just don't know where he would have gotten an infection from without a wound - if it was a bite from his sister I would expect to see a bite mark? Unless I'm wrong of course - if so please tell me I'm so worried

If play fighting led to a puncture by a tooth or a claw, that could do it. These wounds leave such tiny holes that it is hard to find them unless the hair is shaved off the area.

If he is eating, he should be OK. I would get worried if he becomes lethargic or stops eating.

Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian
Ok thank you, ***** ***** get a clean flannel now and try with warm water to see if it helps. I'll absolutely keep an eye on him eating. 5 days ago on his 12week birthday he weighed 1.6kg so will try and weigh him at home too. Thank you very much x

You are welcome. Please let me know how he is doing.

He won't let me use the flannel for much longer than 5 seconds, I'll keep trying

Don't get hurt or stress him. Maybe best to leave it if he does not want you to touch it.

He's also constantly trying to lick it, not sure if it's because it's now damp or because it's irritating him. Skin look clean

If he is licking it, it might be bothering him but it could be from your compress making his fur wet.

He didn't hurt me bless him, he just struggled away and wasn't best pleased with what I was doing. I've left him alone since my third attempt and he's been happily playing with his sister. I've left him to it but stepped in at times it got a little rough. I'll check again when he gets sleepy, before bed and in the morning and if it's bigger or red or much hotter I'll take him straight to the vets x

That sounds best. Leave him be, monitor his appetite and bodily functions, and get him checked out when your vet is open.

Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian