Cat

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Cat

My Maine Coon is looking skinnier than usual. Is this a sign

that he may be sick?...
My Maine Coon is looking skinnier than usual. Is this a sign that he may be sick?
Answered in 1 minute by:
10/14/2017
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.

Hi,I'm Dr Scott. Welcome to JustAnswer, I am working on your question now, you can expect a written reply sometime within the next ten minutes or so.

But before I can start I need a little more information to make things clearer to me, so could you please confirm the following :

1. Is Leonardo showing any other symptoms of any sort { No matter how minor } ?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I am not noticeing any other symptoms.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Should I give him something to fatten him up?

Hello again,

Thanks for that, I have worked out an answer for you below.

1. While it is encouraging that Leonardo is not showing any other adverse symptoms of any sort I have sometimes known obvious weight loss be a sign of some chronic disease situation in older cats such as kidney disease or liver disease for example, so it may be just as well to have your vet check him over.

2. Of course usually this is not so serious, perhaps he just needs worming but I will often run a blood panel just to check thing out when presented with such a cat. If he then gets a clean bill of health then that may the time to increase his plane of feeding.

3. But in any case I should be available online for you for the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Oh my gosh! I am so upset! I love him so much!!! This may be something serious:(

The chances are this is nothing serious, but perhaps have him checked over just to be on the safe side.

Please let me know how things go ...

Regards,

Dr Scott

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Can I give him a different kind of food to help him gain some weight?

Sure, worth a try, and perhaps increase his portion, but if in doubt have him checked over.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Any recommendations as to what I can feed him?

The best diet for an individual cat can be very variable, just choose a different high quality brand of cat food, but introduce it gradually over three or four day period.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I will take him to the vet tomorrow. I just want to get him checked out 1st. Thank you.

That sounds the right thing to do ...

Regards,

Dr Scott

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I took him to the vet this morning. He lost 4 pounds:(:( ears look good, he's has no temperature, he's eating and everything is good. I won't get the blood results right away. I am absolutely devastated not knowing what's wrong.

Thanks for the update, please let me know what the blood results are when they come in ...

Dr Scott

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Should I be worried? Is this like Leukemia or some kind of disease? Do you have an idea based on his symptoms? I am really worried and scared.

The chances are that this is nothing too serious, it is impossible to speculate at the moment, lets wait and see what the blood panel shows ...

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok, thank you so much!!!!

No problem, it is hard waiting I know ...

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The last time I contacted you...he hadn't lost any weight at all! Why all of a sudden? I just don't get it! Is 4 poufs considered a lot for a cat to lose? I am just so taken back by this happening to him:(:(:(

The blood results will hopefully give us a clue what is going on ...

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
They have the blood results and no one has called me! I am getting so worried!!! He ate and drank water this morning:) He sleeping right now..I don't know what to think...

Frustrating waiting I know ...

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
They told me it can wait till tomorrow when my vet gets in. The other doctor at the clinic knows...He says it can wait till tomorrow. I don't understand that:(

I guess it is better that you deal with just the one person if possible during the course of your cat's treatment, but sometimes vets don't realise how stressful these sorts of situations can be for owners ...

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Abnormalities are high in the pancreas, liver, gallbladder, spleen..do you have any thoughts as to what I'm dealing with? This looks like a losing battle to me:(:(:(:(

What did the vet say as to the possible diagnosis ...

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
He didn't know.

While what you have told me so far regarding the blood results is not suggestive of any one disease, I have to say that these blood results combined with a history of weight loss are very concerning, some cancers may present like this for example ...

Sorry to be so blunt.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
You are saying this is probably cancer?

Well this would be one of a range of possibilities, if I was dealing with such a case my next move could well be X-ray or ultrasound to help try and pin down what exactly is going on ...

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Are you saying the cancer spread all over? I am so devastated beyond anything!!!!!! I can tell you're comtemplating cancer.

Well if a number of organs are all affected then this can mean a cancer spreading, but we do not know this at this stage, there are other possibilities, some more diagnosis will needed before we are sure ...

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I had him at the vet in June and his blood results were perfect. In August he hadn't lost any weight at all...this just doesn't make sense. How did it spread that fast?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Can you tell me what other possibilities it could be concerning these organs?

Well one possibility would be a widespread infection of some kind ...

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I got a copy of the blood report & it says stuff like pancreitis...I can't understand the rest of it..Leonardo is eating soft food and isn't able to eat the hard food. He's walking around purring and looks heavier...he seems conjested however...I don't know what to really feed him.

Well it's good he is eating soft food and seems heavier ...

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
What about dental disease..? Could it be that? He won't eat the hard food...just a thought. He has pain by his mouth & he lost weight.

I am pretty sure your vet will have checked Leonardo's mouth, dental problems are usually easy to spot ...