Cat

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Terri I see you previously shared that a cat can smell up to…

Customer Question
Terri I see you previously...
Terri I see you previously shared that a cat can smell up to 100 yards to find a mate. My kitty got outside 5 days ago 7 hrs before a large storm system came through from the last hurricane. She is an indoor only kitty who is 5 years old. She has her front claws, although i trimmed them 2 weeks ago. She also has bowed out hind legs so she cannot really jump more than 3 feet up, but can jump down with no problems. I unfortunately chased her not knowing any better when I saw she got out and I'm sure that could have made the situation more frightening for her causing her to run off further. I have since put out laminated flyers all over the neighborhood and distributed over 100 copies to my neighbors, I have reported her to home again the company she is microshipped with, posted her on Facebook and the application Next door, reported her to the local shelter, my vet and several large rescues in the area. I have spent every morning from 6-8:30am looking for her under neighbors decks and in trees and any obscure area she might be hiding that I have access too and i repeat this process from 7-9pm. I have left my garage door cracked open at the bottom each night just enough for her to get in along with her favorite scratcher that she loves to sit on, some fresh water and some of her regular wet food. On my front deck i placed a carrier with a blanket with her and my other kitties fur and smells all over it with a bowl of dried food and then under my back deck i placed some sardines in oil. I also left some canned food at my neighbors homes 2 doors down. All the food every night has been eaten except the food in my garage. But the bowls or can are licked clean and I don't think my kitty would do that (I ordered a trail camera which arrives today), but again i have no idea what her behavior is like as she's outside. Everyone is offering different advice as to what i should and should not do and it's conflicting and frustrating. I would like advice on what stinky food is the best, ***** ***** i leave it, how far can she truly smell the food (100 yards as you mentioned to smell a mate), should I spray some salmon oil in different directions around my home to create a trail to my house, should i sprinkle litter around my house or is this dangerous? as someone told me it will attract other predators (but won't the food attract predators too) and I was told not to leave litter in the garage with the food because it will confuse her (this doesn't make any sense) is leaving food at multiple homes in my neighborhood hurting her chances for finding her way back to my house, is scattering my vacuum remnants of any assistance? Should I leave articles of my clothing around my neighbors homes so she can smell me (there have been some studies that show this doesn't really help from what I've read online but who knows what's true and what isn't) and should i set up a havaheart humane trap? I bought one, it seems rather complicated to me and I've read that she may be afraid of it and not come close and that's I'd just end up trapping a feral kitty or a greedy raccoon? i just don't know what is best!
Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Cat
A few additional things that i am not sure of would be i was told not to call her name out when walking around my home because that will confuse her with being "home" is that true? She will only stay in the area around my home for about 10 days and then will most likely venture further away, is that true? If I'm leaving food out I would think she would stay? She most likely will not come to anyone if they find her? My neighbors mostly all have dogs and swear that my cat is not on their property because the dogs especially breeds like Jack Russels would sniff them out and would be barking like crazy, plus she would sense that and would run away? is that true? and while she is outside and scared no matter how close I or anyone else gets to her she will not make any noises? Again all information different sources are sharing with me.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Answered in 1 hour by:
10/12/2017
Cat Vet: Joan, Vet Tech replied 9 months ago
Joan
Joan, Vet Tech

It seems Terri has not be on for some time recently. My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 35+ years. If you would like I can try and assist you is ways to find Indie or you can wait and see if Terri signs on.

Joan

Hi Joan. Ok that is interesting. JustAnswer's pop up box said she was logged on at the time I came across her post. However, I questioned that I bit when I saw most of her replies were from 5 years ago. I would very much like some assistance and to better understand what will bring Indie home based on her senses, behavior and anatomy. I am not a vet and everyone I speak seems to think they are an expert on cat behavior but everything they say usually contradicts what the previous person shared with me. I have tried to get some direction from my personal vet and was rather disappointed on the advice I was getting second hand from the vet tech as it didn't answer a single question and was very generic telling me to report her missing to the local shelter and animal rescues. I am very detailed oriented and very organized so that is certainly not something I would wait 5 days to do after my pet is missing and although social media and networking is great I don't think anyone can rely on that to bring their beloved animal home. So yes I would truly appreciate your assistance on this moving forward!
Is the phone call for you and i to speak an additional $28 or is the total cost $28

Terri has not been on in weeks, and I double checked thhat with Moderators. The call is something the site does and it is $28 extra dollars than according to the site. I do not regulate charges all I do is answer the questions.

I will do my best to assist you.

Joan

Wow this is really taking a long time. I was hoping this would be much faster as it said Terri would reply in 30min.
I am fine with a seasoned professional that has tacked this situation before assisting me. If you could please refer to the messages I have sent that pertain to my missing kitty Indie I would be most grateful so I can have some better direction! Thank you. I spent a lot of time mapping out my situation so I am would really like some assistance please! Thanks,
Jennifer

The fisrt thing I would do is set her litter box out in front of the house that scent will help. I know you have been out looking for her, but the best time to actually search for her would be at 2am as cats seem to be most active in the middle of the night when in the wild. I would also check with local feral cat rescues. The people who coordinate these resucues have colonies of feral cats that feed a couple of times a day. She may have found her way into one of these colonies and is eating with them. We have quite a few where I live in Fl where people go care for the colony. Most care takers would recognize a new cat as they know their colony and the cats have their ear tipped.

Contacting all local resuces, not just the big ones will help.

Placing a box upside down near the littke box with a towel with your scent and a hole cut in the side may be a place she will come. As far as food sardines and tuna would be the smelly foods to put out, but you are also chancing a racoon or another cat to show up.

I know you siad you have a have a heart trap, it may be worth setting it up with some smelly food a little way away from the house. she may just wander back into it.

When you are searching you may want to carry a couple of cans of food and a box of dry food to shake the sound of food may entice her to come out. When searching after dark or at night, use a flashlight and loon under bushes and porches.

Cats have been known to be gone for months at a time and have come home, so do not give up hope.

An add in the paper and if you can contact all local Vets to pass the word on to all cat owners word of mouth helps.

You can also contact the Local TV station and see if they will do a human interest story, and show her picture and explain you are giving a reward for your beloved companion.

These suggestions are in addition to all you have done. I hope these are helpful. The sound of food cans and the smell of food are both powerful attractants.

Please let me know if you would like to discuss this information.

Joan

Hi Joan, I asked a lot of questions that you did not address IE about the litter, the vacuum remnants, my clothing, the distance they can smell and many others. I was really hoping you would get back to me on each of these. $44 for the high detailed response I was looking for is a lot of money for such a short response that didn't really answer anything I addressed in my correspondence. I live in the middle of the woods. The back of my house consists of Hawks, owls, deer and a few months ago Coyotes. The properties in my neighborhood are between 2 and 5 acres a piece and there are only 10 homes down my very long long street. The direction she ran in is where I have been going each morning and evening to canvas after trying to map out the steep ravine far behind my house where i was told she most likely would not be. I was told cats don't like to go to places that we wouldn't consider going. If I have to trek through mud and tons of spiders chances are my kitty doesn't want to do that either. Is that an accurate statement? I was told she would most likely be between 150-500 ft from my house at least for the first 7-10days and because of the storm I mentioned before probably didn't even move for the first 4 days as it rained constantly and she is terrified of rain and thunder. Does a change in barometric pressure change her behavior (again asked you about her senses, her anatomy, behavior outside comapnred to a cats behavior inside as i was told it is very different and i'm not familiar with how an outdoor cat would behave etc). In my house she will hide under my dresser for the entire day just from lite rain until it stops and won't even come out to eat. She would have to travel several miles to get to a place where there would be a feral cat colony. There are none in my neighborhood and she'd have to travel 2-4 miles just to get out of my neighborhood. I tried all the small rescues already as well. Everyone is too self absorbed in what they are doing to help. 8 haven't even returned my calls or emails, 2 sent me incorrect information on places to call for microchips and a 2 told me they flat out were too busy. I called channel 10 news they said I could email them over some information but it's t something they would ever consider running. I put a cat carrier already on my front porch and another in my garage with her favorite blanket and some food and the litter box was right next to it as I had mentioned in my first note. What is the difference between this and the box you mentioned above?

Cats are intrigued with bags and cardboard boxes and that is why I mentioned that. Since I do not seem to have the answers your are looking for I will opt out and allow some other Experts to weigh in on this issue as they may have more insight into where Indie may be and how to get her home. Do not rate the service as if someone comes up with better answers they will need a rating. I will opt out now.

Joan

wow, ok how long before someone will reply? It states 24hrs and the only reason I signed up was to get in contact with Terri since it said she was available and a lot of what she wrote pertained to questions I had. Does anyone on JustAnswer know anything about tracking missing indoor only kitties?