Cat

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

My five month old kitten was front paw declawed and spayed…

My five month old kitten...
My five month old kitten was front paw declawed and spayed and received a rabies shot. We confined her while she healed but noticed she is limping on her back right leg. It's been almost 2.5 weeks since the surgery and I'm really worried. I took her back to the vet, he had no idea what the problem was and recommended tramadol for 5 days. It's been two days the limp remains the same.
Appetite is good, cat is playful seems fine, no fever. I can touch the leg and move it, but if I manually extend it all the way the cat cries. Muscle seems to be atrophied in the hind limping leg.
Any idea what's wrong and if it will heal?
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
10/11/2017
Cher
Cher, Feline Specialist

Hi, I'm Cher. Welcome to JustAnswer.

I'm reviewing your question now. I'd be glad to call you, but am having trouble with the offer for this service. Perhaps one more reply from you, might help.

Is she your only pet?

Hi again,

Did you receive my offer? If you want to speak with me on the phone, please accept the offer and include your phone number where it says 'enter info.' Only you and I will see the number if you enter it there.

Thanks!

Cher
Cher, Feline Specialist
Trying to send the video

Sometimes, it's difficult to get it to go through. Maybe you can make it into a Youtube video and then, send it from there?

How is she doing today? You never told me her name! lol

Her name Bella, I took her back to the original vet today he wanted 900 dollars for the X-ray and sedation. I said no and took her to a different vet. She's going to get the X-ray tomorrow. New vet is guessing she might have a disclocated hip. She says if it's dilocated she's likely permanently lame.... She'll refer me to an orthopedist for a surgical consult but the surgery is 3k and it's not a guarantee. I spent 20 min crying in my car and now I'm trying to stay hopeful. That it's not a disclocation, it's something that will heal on its own. Or that if she needs surgery I'll be able to find the money and that her recovery will be complete.
New vet said it might also be a tendon issue, in which case it should heal in 4-8 weeks with rest. What do you think?
1st vet prescribed Onisor. 2nd vet said it won't hurt to give it to her. Some I'm going to give her a dose in 10 min

Hi, Jen and thanks for updating me on Bella.

I'm sorry to hear that it might be a hip dislocation; I hope it's not, and only a tendon issue, which can heal on it's own.

Onsior should take care of the pain; it's a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medication. Read more about it, here:

https://www.1800petmeds.com/Onsior+for+Cats-prod11333.html

-----------

Watch for the side effects described, and stop the medication if you see any adverse reactions.

I'm glad you went to a new vet and she'll get the x-ray tomorrow, then you'll know more.

Thank you very much for your most generous bonus; it is greatly appreciated. I was just notified of it, by the site.

You're more than welcome, you were so gracious last night :)

Your kind words are much appreciated; thanks! : )

Bella has a fractured femur. Apparently the ball is in the joint but the bone is snapped. They are recommending surgery an FHO. Do you think that's what you would do? I'm also worried bc she's only 5 months old, will her leg grow normally?

Hi again, Jen.

I'm sorry Bella has a fractured femur, but at least now, you know the cause of the problem. I don't think you have much of a choice, but to get her the FHO surgery. She is in a lot of pain and the surgery will take care of the pain. Of course, she will be on pain meds, after the surgery, too, and will need to be confined in a medium sized dog crate and not allowed to jump onto or off of, anything for a certain period of time, while she's healing. She will limp as it heals, but should eventually start walking normally. I thought you might like to read about a cat who had this surgery. Of course, every cat is different and the medications prescribed may vary (pain meds and antibiotics), but you'll get an idea of what the recovery was like, for this particular cat:

http://bentleysfhosurgery.blogspot.com/2012/04/hello-to-all-cat-lovers-my-name.html

------------

Her leg should grow normally, but discuss this with the orthopedic specialist and/or surgeon. Even if she has a slight limp, she will be out of pain and able to run and jump and play.

If you need help paying for the surgery, try Care Credit. Here is more info:

https://www.carecredit.com/vetmed/

-----------

I have to run, I have a dr.'s appt., myself!

Keep me posted!

All my best wishes,

Cher