Cat

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

My cat Simon is throwing up and sometimes red. He has been…

Customer Question
My cat Simon is...

My cat Simon is throwing up green and sometimes red

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did Simon eat anything unusual?

He has been acting a little less active ..no i don't think Simon ate anything odd...i do think we had cleaning products and house paints in the home

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Simon?

He was 6 weeks in 2005 ...so 15

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Simon?

He has been treated for uti before

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Cat
10/6/2017
Cat Vet: Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian replied 10 months ago
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I AM NOT SET UP TO MAKE PHONE CALLS, BUT I WOULD BE HAPPY TO ANSWER ANY QUESTIONS YOU HAVE ONLINE. THE WEBSITE SENDS THE REQUESTS; NOT MYSELF. In order to give an informative and concise answer, it may take a few minutes before I respond back to you, so don't be alarmed if you don't hear back immediately. If you have not responded back in 10 minutes, it may be a longer before I can get back to you. I do have a couple more questions, though, to see if I can better assess your situation.

How long has this been going on for?

How often has he vomited?

Any recent change in diet, new treats, human food or gotten into anything else?

Any diarrhea or lack of appetite?

Not yesterday but the night before he started acting a little quiet and moving slower than normal. He started having small vomit piles ..brown then a three more times brown with red little mucus that was yesterday..and this morning it was green slimey with a little red
I have a get appointment at 3 today. But I'm not sure if this is an emergency instead

Thanks for the information. If he is just constantly vomiting every hour or less, is not moving around, seems very weak, is not very responsive or is having breathing problems; I would consider it an emergency that needs to be seen ASAP. If he seems to be acting normal but is just a little lethargic and is sporadically vomiting, it can wait. The red color makes me concerned about some bleeding in the stomach. It could be a mass, an ulcer, an infection, a foreign body or irritation from kidney disease, diabetic ketoacidosis, pancreatitis or some other metabolic disease. It is possible it is a parasite or bad inflammation from something he ingested, but those would be less likely. He absolutely needs to be seen today by your vet, so I am glad you got the appointment. He needs blood work, including an FPL to look at the pancreas more, at the very least, but they may recommend x-rays as well. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. IF YOU ARE SATISFIED WITH MY ANSWER, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get compensated for helping you, and we can still continue our conversation after rating. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Asking more specific questions usually helps a lot. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

He has had pancreatitis and a UTI in the past. Does that explain anything

I would lean more towards a pancreatitis, then. I would definitely run full blood work, but I would make sure an FPL test is ran. If elevated, it may help to get an ultrasound of the abdomen to see if there is a tumor on the pancreas. It is not absolutely necessary. You can always just have them hospitalize and treat for a pancreatitis, but if symptoms continue or reoccur, then I would definitely check for that. Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Hello. I was just following up to see how Simon is doing and to see if you have any other questions.