Cat

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

My cat is meowing but no sound is coming out, shes 11 years…

Customer Question
My cat is meowing...

My cat is meowing but no sound is coming out, shes 11 years old, just started today. She is hiding like she does when she feels bad.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the cat's name?

Baby, I can wait and call my vet in the morning if not urgent

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your cat?

She has thrown up for quite some time trying to get up. Hair balls, usually just a white foam comes up but this isnt new

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Cat
10/1/2017
Cat Vet: Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian replied 10 months ago
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I AM NOT SET UP TO MAKE PHONE CALLS AND DO NOT SEND THE REQUESTS, BUT I WOULD BE HAPPY TO ANSWER ANY QUESTIONS YOU HAVE ONLINE. In most cases, this is caused by an upper respiratory infection. You cannot rule out a possible tumor near the voice box, trauma or a foreign body (less likely), but an infection is the first thing I would look for. Your vet does need to check this out. If he is acting normal otherwise, eating and drinking well and not having problems breathing; then it can wait until tomorrow. If she seems to be having more difficulty breathing, is coughing a lot, is open mouth breathing or vomiting a lot; it may be better to have her seen by a vet today. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. IF YOU ARE SATISFIED WITH MY ANSWER, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get compensated for helping you, and we can still continue our conversation after rating. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Asking more specific questions usually helps a lot. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

Hello. I was just following up to see how Baby is doing and to see if you have any other questions.