Cat

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

She has crusty bumps around her head and neck, with a tiny…

Customer Question
She has crusty bumps...

She has crusty bumps around her head and neck, with a tiny bit of blood in them. She a high grade Canidae food and we have seen zero fleas but have treated for them anyway. She's never been outside.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the Veterinarian. What is the cat's name and age?

Callie, 5 years old.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Callie?

She's a little overweight, otherwise she's never been sick.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Cat
9/30/2017
Cat Vet: nekovet, Cat Veterinarian replied 10 months ago
nekovet
nekovet, Cat Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long has she been showing these signs?

How long has she been on this diet? Any treats, people food given, or changes to the brand's recipe?

Are the bumps flesh colored or pimple like?

What is the flea treatment you used? When did you apply it?

Can you take a photo of this to let me see what you are seeing? To post a photo, you can use the paper clip button on the tool bar above the text box. Or if you cannot see that on your phone/computer, then you can post them on any site (ie Flickr, Photobucket, Imgr etc) and paste the web link here for me to have a peek.

She has been on this food about six months, and we noticed the bumps just recently. The scabby bumps are mostly white, like the clear fluid that weeps from a skin abrasion, with tiny flecks of blood. They are about 1/8 inch around, and she doesn't scratch them (or anywhere).
You can't really see them under her fur, no changes in the fur in the area.

Hello again,

And what flea treatment brand did you use?

Sentry, but I just used it yesterday, the bumps have been here.

Hi again,

Now if she has been on the diet for 6 months, the risk of a dietary allergy is low. Though given the location and description of these lesions, allergic dermatitis from pollens or environmental allergens (possibly flea saliva induced, as it only takes one bite) would be a concern. As well, mites/lice and bacterial infection would also fit here. And I have to say that it was a good idea to treat for fleas to exclude them but that Sentry isn't a great product (we are seeing resistance but also it won't treat for fleas/mites). So, if we do need to re-treat for mites/lice down the line then we may need to use a multi-species anti-parasitic (ie Revolution, Advantage Multi, etc) but we cannot do so for 2 weeks if she just had this.

Anyway, otherwise again bacteria and allergies need to be addressed/excluded. To do that, we can first treat Callie with an OTC antihistamine. Most commonly we use Benadryl/Diphenhydramine (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/diphenhydramine-benadryl). A low dose (ie. 0.25mg per pound of their body weight twice daily) can just be enough to reduce allergic irritation. Alternatively, we can use Cetirizine (just 5mg for a cat) once daily. For either, we like to keep the dose low, to avoid drowsiness. Of course, double check with your vet first if your wee one has any known health issues or is on any other medication you didn't mention.

For the bumps, we can also start some topical care. To do so, you can start by cleaning this 2-3 times daily with a mild antiseptic (ie dilute betadine, chlorohexidine, or salt water). Afterwards, pat the area dry and apply an OTC antibiotic cream +/- hydrocortisone cream. The former can help keep infection away and the latter can reduce inflammation and itchiness. As well, since we need to prevent self-trauma, after all this we can put a light bandage on your wee one to protect this area from self trauma. It can also help to clip her back nails since they tend to be their own worst enemy for getting these healed. And if we can get her settled with this, we're happy. Though if the signs linger, then we'd want her vet to test for the above +/- start kitty safe anti-inflammatories +/- antibiotics to nip this in the bud.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

nekovet