Cat

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

There was a grain like substance hanging from my cats anus…

Customer Question
Hi, there was a...

Hi, there was a grain like substance hanging from my cats anus and I think it's a tapeworm but I'm not sure

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. There are all sorts of infestations your cat can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the cat's name and age?

Name: Keihyann age: 1yr and then some

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Keihyann?

A little over a year

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Keihyann?

He does have fleas

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Cat
9/29/2017
Cat Vet: Dr. Deb, Cat Veterinarian replied 10 months ago
Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Cat Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help with this concern about Keihyann.

More than likely, what you are seeing is a tapeworm segment if it's flat and white. Dried segments tend to look like pieces of rice or coconut which may also be found on the fur around her anal opening.

Ingestion of fleas is certainly one common way that cats can pick up these parasites but ingestion of critters such as mice or chipmunks an also cause them.

Treatment is relatively easy and can be found over the counter in most pet/grain stores: Praziquantel is the active ingredient in most of them. Droncit or Drontal for Cats are brand names but I'm sure there are other brands with the same ingredient in them if you double check the label.

Most cats only require one treatment and the medication is safe even if Keihyann doesn't happen to have tapeworms.

I hope this helps, Deb