Cat

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

She staggering and cat walk well. Head is tilted also. I…

Customer Question
She staggering and cat...

She staggering and cat walk well

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Did the cat have a fall?

Head is tilted also

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the cat's name and age?

I don't know she goes in and out

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the cat?

Scooter 1yr

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Cat
9/28/2017
Cat Vet: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 10 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Scooter. Her head tilt is the clue that she's suffering from a vestibular (balance) disorder.

There are myriad causes of vestibular signs in cats but the most common is idiopathic (unknown cause) vestibular disease accounting for 43% of cases of peripheral (not involving the brain) vestibular disease in one report. Clinical signs are often severe, with head tilt, rolling and rapid nystagmus (eyes flicking back and forth) quite evident. There's no sex or breed predilection and the average age of affected cats is 4 years. Although usually acute and nonprogressive in nature, there have been some reports of clinical signs progressing for up to 3 weeks. Signs usually resolve rapidly without definitive treatiment, usually in the first week, although some patients may have a persistent head tilt. Diagnosis is through excluding other known causes of peripheral vestibular disease such as inflammation in the middle and inner ears (otitis media and otitis interna, respectively); there's no definitive diagnostic testing nor is there definitive treatment. Some cats may require fluid and antiemetic therapy if vomiting and/or anorexia doesn't resolve the first day.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?