Cat

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

He (6 yr) has lost weight and he was eating less. He refused…

Customer Question
He (6 yr) has...

He (6 yr) has lost weight and he was eating less. He refused to eat for a day about 2 weeks ago. I took him to the vet twice and they did blood work (twice), xrays and couldn't find the cause of his illness. They placed him on one antibiotic that had no effect, then after 3 days switched him to one (doxycycline) that caused him to be nauseated. I borfed him at the vets Thursday and picked him up Monday. The vet force fed him some (not enough for a complete day's calories). Now he's a bit yellow (wich I know indicates a liver problem) and I woke up and he had thrown up orange liquid. Last night he would lick some food off my hand, but this morning he's not interested. I've already spent a thousand dollars on this cat and I still don't know the underlying cause of his illness/what to do next. Advice? Ps: he was given a dewormer when he was at the vet's. She also took him off the doxycycline and put him back on the first antibiotic...

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your vet's cat?

It's my cat not the vets

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Cat
9/26/2017
Cat Vet: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 10 months ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

When was bloodwork most recently run? Do you have a copy to share?

Is he indoors only or outdoors, as well?

He's been indoor only for at least 3 years. I did try to adopt a stray last July. They never had direct contact (hissing through door), the stray had fleas (trates at my house) before she was returned to thr friend who rescued her. I have the blood work at my house. Can I attach it this afternoon?

You sure can. I'll keep an eye out for it.

Based on what I can see of the attached pictures, it appears only a CBC was run. Is this right or is there an organ panel?

As far as I know. She did this twice about 4 days apart.

The very first thing that needs to happen is an organ panel. A CBC (even two of them back-to-back) shows very little overall and practically nothing about organ function. You may want to call and ask your clinic if they have ran this and if they have copies you can have. I'd also ask if a feline aids and feline leukemia test has been run. Since he's now yellow, with likely does indicate a liver problem (perhaps failure), it would be ideal to have a new bloodwork panel run to check the liver values. A gastric feeding tube and IV fluids, as well as hospitalization, is likely needed. For the time being, you may not have direct information on what has caused him not to want to eat, but without addressing the liver affliction he's likely going to living on limited time. Assuming that he may have hepatic lipidosis now from not eating, the option to have a feeding tube placed should be a strong option for helping him to recover. Alas, that may mean more diagnostics following to determine why he originally did not want to eat. The most pressing factor right now, of course, is trying to keep his liver functional.

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me (bottom of the page if using the app). A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Customer

Checking in. How is your companion today?