Cat

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Cat

I have a feral kitten, hardly a couple weeks old. He's been

having trouble breathing. We've taken...
I have a feral kitten, hardly a couple weeks old. He's been having trouble breathing. We've taken him to the vet and I think they screened him for fluid in his lungs but never found or prescribed him anything. He isn't panting, and he actually seems to breathe a little better when he's asleep on his side. He's going back to the vet to tomorrow, but i'm trying to get any insight I can until then. Also, we think he might have a defect since there's a small population of ferals around here and we've had a kitten similar to this one that didn't make it.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the kitten's name?
Customer: Never gave him one yet. Angel, for now I suppose
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the kitten?
Customer: We bottle feed him and he seems to be only able to suckle for small periods.
9/24/2017
Dr. Denise
Dr. Denise, Veterinarian

Hi. I’m Dr. Denise, a licensed veterinarian. I’d like to help with your concerns regarding your kitten. I'm sorry to hear that he is struggling.

Is he doing any coughing or sneezing?

I think i've heard him feintly cough/sneeze on a few occasions but nothing consistant. When we first found him he had some goop around his face, but ever since we cleaned him up I haven't noticed any snot/discharge. However, he makes these sounds that kind of sound like swallowing, which he does pretty often.

I agree that taking him to see the vet tomorrow is wise. Respiratory distress is something to take seriously.

For today, you can give him steam treatments in the bathroom (keep him in the bathroom for 10min while a hot shower is running). This can help to loosen up some of his congestion and help him to breathe better.

Okay I'll try that. One last thing; I've read that you can sort of cup a kitten in cloth and hold them in an upside down position near your legs and then volley your arms up towards the ceiling, which I guess is intended to help displace whatever is in the respitory system. Would this be something I could try? Thanks in advance for all your help, have a good day!

You are welcome.

I would not recommend any swinging maneuvers as it is unknown what is causing his distress at this time.

Have a good night. I wish you and your kitten all the best.

Please let me know if you have any other questions. I am here to answer all the questions you have. If you have no other questions, I would greatly appreciate your positive review (5 stars). Your review helps connect Experts with other customers so your input is highly appreciated, and it is the only way that I am compensated. Thank you!

Dr. Denise
Dr. Denise, Veterinarian
Dr. Denise
Dr. Denise
Dr. Denise, Veterinarian