nekovet
nekovet, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian. I am happy to answer any questions you may have on any species.
60269376

I have two 4 month old kittens that have been prescribed

I have two 4 month old kittens that have been prescribed Strongid-T. I'm to give them 1.3 cc of the liquid warmer once a day for three days. I'm on day two and based on one's odd response to the medication today, I was worried I got the liquid in her windpipe. When I googled it, I discovered I administered the liquid from the syringe by tilting the head back. Now I'm extremely worried I just induced aspiration pneumonia. Is there any way to put my mind at ease to know if I got it in her windpipe? She never coughed, just kept swallowing really hard. She didn't do that yesterday at all. Thoughts? If I did administer incorrectly, how soon will I know? Thanks?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if the kitten will be able to digest that. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the kitten?
Customer: Not that I can think of at the moment. I just want to know if by titling her head back to administer the liquid wormer, how would I know if I got it in her lungs besides just waiting a few days to see if she falls severely ill from aspiration pneumonia.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

What odd response are you seeing?

Any vomiting or nasal discharge?

Are her gums pink or pale/white?

Can you take a breathing rate for me (just count her breaths for 10 seconds + multiply by 6)?

Customer: replied 30 days ago.
Immediately after I administered the dewormer, she was swallowing really hard. No coughing or gagging, but rather like she couldn't get it down easily or was trying to catch her breath. I'd not seen that reaction from a cat before and that's when I googled it to find I administered it incorrectly and could have caused it to get into her lungs. (You know how looking something up on the internet could cause you to fear the worst!) I reached out to try to understand if there was an early sign to indicate if I did get it into her lungs (such as coughing, etc, which she actually did not do), or if it's really just a waiting game to see if she falls ill within the next few days or not.No nasal discharge, but I did notice a couple dry heaves this morning while she was eating her dry kitten food. I didn't think much of it at the time because she was vomiting prior and that's why I brought her to the vet originally and discovered she had round worms, which the vet said could have been causing her vomiting. She's had two of three doses/days of the Strongid-T at this point.Her gums appear to have normal pink coloration.Her breathing rate is 60 according to your suggestion, but she was purring the duration I took multiple readings (if it matters to know that).
Customer: replied 30 days ago.
Update: She stopped purring and laid her head down to nap, and I noticed her respiratory rate greatly decreased. Because she was so still, I took a full minute of her respiratory rate twice - first time was 27 and second was 25.

Hello again,

I am glad you rechecked that breathing rate as her purring was affecting that. So, its good that we have a 25-27 bpm rate as that is spot on in the normal range (20-30) and suggests that we don't have lungs full of wormer or inflammation from aspiration. Furthermore, those lovely pink gums tell us both that her oxygenation is good. So, we'd not be worried here as long as those are normal. Instead, it just sounds like she swallowed hard due to possible irritation to the throat as this went down. It could be from how it was given or just that the wormer didn't taste/feel nice going down the hatch. So, do keep an eye for the next 12-24 hours and offer soft food if her throat seems sore and she swallows hard more; but otherwise as long as those gums stay pink and that rate stays where it should when she isn't purring then we'd not worry about any harm here.

Have a lovely day,

Dr. B.

********************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

Customer: replied 29 days ago.
You have been so incredibly helpful! You've given me the information I need to answer my question and put my mind at ease, and also educated me on what to look for should trouble start so I can try to catch it early. Thank you greatly!