Cat

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

My aunt has one of her cats who's rectum is very swollen…

Customer Question
Hi, my aunt has one...
Hi, my aunt has one of her cats who's rectum is very swollen (golf ball size) and is impacted with stool. She tries to defecate but can't. She says the stool right inside seems creamy not hard. She spoke with her normal vet and she won't be in until tomorrow and she doesn't have the money to go to the emergency clinic. She has had cats for years and is experienced in handling them as well as medicating them. I work at a vet clinic so I have experience as well. She thought if she could get an enema in that it might help relieve some of her discomfort and help her pass some stool at least until she can go to her vet. However, she doesn't want to stress her out too much especially because she has asthma.
My question is what kind of solution should she/we try? I have seen my vet use a dish soap solution and at other times mineral oil. What do you recommend?
Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Cat
9/24/2017
Cat Vet: nekovet, Cat Veterinarian replied 9 months ago
nekovet
nekovet, Cat Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Is it the rectum that swells or does the area around appear to enlarge?

Did her vet do any tests thus far or is this a new finding?

Can you take a photo so I can see what you are seeing? To post it, you can use the paper clip button on the tool bar above the text box (last icon). Or if you cannot see that, then post it on any site (ie Flickr, Photobucket, Imgr Instagram, etc) & paste the link here for me.