Cat

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

I got a 3 year old fixed male cat that stays outside on my…

Customer Question
i got a 3 year...
i got a 3 year old fixed male cat that stays outside on my porch..hes had all his shots..and flea meds every month.he usally eats pretty good..but starting yesterday he doesnt seem real hungry kinda acts nausea..and i did see he threw up some grass he had eaten..he walks fine but when i pick him up he crys..but then again he might not want me to mess with him..hes sleeping more then usual for him..i dont see any bite marks on him like hes been fighting or anything..so i gave him a 1/4 of a pepcid pill becasue all i had was the 20mg..so i think 1/4 was about right..maybe this will help cant get him to the vet until monday..he ate alittle early this morning but not as much as usual.he did try to play alittle..so im gona keep him inside in a spare room away form my other cats..and kinda watch him i put a cat box in there maybe i can see how hes urinating..make sure maybe its not a uti coming..on..is there anything else you think i should do for him until monday.
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Cat
9/23/2017
Cat Vet: Dr Linda, Cat Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Dr Linda
Dr Linda, Cat Veterinarian

Hello, this is Dr. Linda. I hope I can help with your concerns today.

I am sorry for your concerns about your kitty, but it sounds like you have everything under control. The only thing I might suggest, if not already done, is offer canned food. If he has a UTI coming on, any additional fluid intake will be beneficial. If you see him in the litter box, & does not produce any urine, or you see him grooming down around his penis & is either growling or crying when doing so, this may be an indication that he is, or is becoming, obstructed. This may turn into an emergency for you that can not wait until Monday. But if he is at least eating & drinking some, & just wants to sleep, then he should be fine to wait until Monday.

The Pepcid was fine, but he probably will not benefit from at additional doses.

I hope this makes sense & you find the information useful. Please let me know if you have any further questions or concerns.

Thank you.

i do feed can food..but i have been feeding him fancey feast for years but i give him different flavors like turkey or chicken or beef and i have read that sometimes when you change flavors of cat food it can bother there tummies so im wondering if i should jsut stick to one kind..and sometimes i give him the chopped chiken that fancy feast has..so are you saying i shouldnt give him another dose of pepcid today?how about tomorrow..maybe once a day until i take him to vet?i also gave him some hairball stuff.
i checked his temp..he doesnt have fever

I really have never had any problems switching up canned food flavors, or types, & I have 15 cats! And, since you have been doing this as well, I can not imagine this is bothering him now.

I am glad he does not have a fever, but that does not mean there is not something infectious going on. Is it possible that he may have sustained some trauma? You said no bite wounds, but blunt trauma from a kick or even a close encounter from a car can leave a cat sore enough to just want to rest. Can you check his gum color? They can normally appear a bit pale, but should have some color to them. If he will let you, you can press on the gum just above the canine tooth, & see if it blanches white, but should immediately turn pinkish again.

I just would not give any additional Pepsid. I do not think he needs it, & there are very few studies evaluating the antacid effects in cats compared to dogs & most doses have been extrapolated from dog studies, anyway. I doubt your cat's problem at this point is stomach acid overproduction.

i was thinking maybe nausea..since i seen thorwed up grass on the porch..dont they usually eat grass when tummies are upset..its so funny how everyone says something different about the cat food thing and changing flavors and all..some say yes soem say no..i got 6 cats and in the past i did have a few get tummy issues briefly when changing food..hes sleeping under the chair for now so when he comes out i will check his gums thanks

If he is nauseous, the Pepcid will just not help at all. Eating & vomiting grass can mean a lot of things, so sometimes it is best to let the gut rest, no pills or food changes. Yes, some cats can show a sensitivity to different foods, but under normal circumstances, this just does not seem to be the case with cats. They eat dead mice, birds & bugs all the time ( & this might be what has upset him ). So, just let him rest, & you can let me know later if his gums look significantly different from your other cats. I will get back to you as soon as I can.

Take care.

well you are differnt in your advice on alot things compared to over 3 different vets i have been to in about 6 years..evrey singal one says if they are nausea acting give them pepcid..you are the first to say other wise..and i gave him the pecid earlier and now after about a hour he wanted to eat...so why do you think pepcid doesnt help nausea in cats when everyone else says to do it..just curious..he does like to eat those blue tail lizrds and they do make him mausea..i seen him eat one before nad he got sick so maybe he got ahold ofone of them
he is a real dark gray cat so his comes have a dark color to pinkish. so kinda hard to tell..thanks anyway i will figure this out on my own

Many vets will say it is OK to give Pepcid because it is found to be relatively safe in people & dogs, & it gives the owner something to do. I gave you the most recent information from a board certified veterinary gastroenterologist about what we know about Pepcid in cats. It does absolutely nothing for nausea, takes time to work, & no real safety studies have been done in cats. I do not know why you are so fixated on the Pepcid.

I hope your cat feels better very soon.

Dr Linda
Dr Linda
Dr Linda, Cat Veterinarian