Cat

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

I accidentally gave my cat my dog’s insulin. They are both…

I accidentally gave my cat...
I accidentally gave my cat my dog’s insulin. They are both diabetic. Cat is in lantus 1 unit. I gave her 9 units of caninsulin
I then gave her 1 teaspoon of maple syrup in cream to offset the extra insulin. I do not have a glucose meter at home to test her. This happened 15 minutes ago
9/23/2017
nekovet
nekovet, Cat Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

What is your cat's weight?

Did she get her's as well?

She weighs around 10 to 12 pounds and no I did not give her hers

Hello again,

Now we have a very worrisome situation here. The insulin brand is fine as cats can use that too but it is a 2x overdose for her size. Now thankfully we don't have her insulin in the equation here as well, but we need to keep a very close eye on her. As I am sure you can appreciate this isn't a drug that we can block absorption in and wile it doesn't cause instant signs, we can see hypoglycaemia in the 6-8 hours post injection. And signs we have to watch for are weakness, lethargy, seizures, tremors, blindness, or collapse. So, the syrup was good and we'd want to use that and keep her taking in food through the day. But to be safe it would really be ideal to have her local vet start her on an IV fluid drip with glucose IV. That way we can counter the effects of the insulin over today and just avoid any issue. If that isn't an option right off the bat, then keep up on the food/syrup but if we see any of those signs I noted then we'd want her seen urgently.

In this situation, just in case you do wish to see an ER vet, you can check @ http://www.vetlocator.com/ or https://www.veccs.org/facility-directory/

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

nekovet
nekovet, Cat Veterinarian

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

nekovet