Cat

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Over the last couple of days I have noticed some strange…

Customer Question
Over the last couple...

Over the last couple of days I have noticed some strange bumps that are located around the edge of my cat's ears.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name and age?

They do not seem to itch or bother here but she has never had them before. What might it be and what should I do for treatment?

Veterinarian's Assistant: Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the Veterinarian. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your cat?

Her name is ***** ***** she is 4. She is an indoor/outdoor cat

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Cat
9/23/2017
Cat Vet: nekovet, Cat Veterinarian replied 11 months ago
nekovet
nekovet, Cat Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but I wanted to touch base with you about these lumps on Daisy's ear.

Given the diffuse appearance and that the don't appear to have pustule type tops, these are most likely an allergic reaction. Often at this site it can be secondary to fleas/biting insects; though it is possible to see this with allergic reactions to pollens, food proteins of products used in the house. Mites and lice would also be a consideration but less so here.

With this in mind, we can try some supportive care. To start, if she hasn't been recently treated for fleas, we could use a multi-species anti-parasitic #(ie Selemectin based one like Revolution, Advantage Multi, etc) to address them as well as the mites/lice. Otherwise, for allergens, we can try her with an OTC antihistamine. Most commonly we use Benadryl/Diphenhydramine (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/diphenhydramine-benadryl). A low dose (ie. 0.25mg per pound of their body weight twice daily) can just be enough to reduce allergic irritation. Alternatively, we can use Cetirizine (just 5mg for a cat) once daily. For either, we like to keep the dose low, to avoid drowsiness. Of course, double check with your vet first if your wee one has any known health issues or is on any other medication you didn't mention.

Finally, we can use some topical care as well. To do so, you can start by cleaning this 2-3 times daily with a mild antiseptic (ie dilute betadine, chlorohexidine, or salt water). Afterwards, pat the area dry and apply an OTC hydrocortisone cream as this can reduce the allergic reaction and inflammation. And if she settles, we are happy. Though if this lingers, then we'd want a check with her vet to ensure there is no bacterial component we may need to also address here for Daisy.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

Cat Vet: nekovet, Cat Veterinarian replied 10 months ago

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

nekovet