Cat

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Smelly fluid running from her mouth, slightly yellow. named…

Customer Question
Smelly fluid running from...

Smelly fluid running from her mouth, slightly yellow

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name and age?

Nick named her Mums years ago, she was feral, so no idea of age.

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Mums?

No idea, been looking after her for about 7 years, may be 10....can't really say. she's been of colour for a few days, with what looked like a cold, with a runny nose.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Mums?

She was very ill earlier this year, about march time, I think someone poisoned her, she went blind and was having fits. she recovered but her eyesight never came back like it was before.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Did you see what Mums ate?

No, but I guessed it was a recreational drug of some sort, her eyes were completely dilated.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Cat
9/22/2017
Cat Vet: Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian replied 10 months ago
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian

Hi. My name is***** I'm sorry that Mums is having this problem going on. When there is a smelly liquid from an oral cavity on a cat, the big things I'm trying to rule out are: Dental issue - they can have an infection / abscess with a tooth that can cause a lot of bad odor / liquid from the mouth. A mouth abscess. A mass in the mouth that is getting necrotic and having this discharge. Vomit that has happened and some of it is still in the mouth leaking out. An oral ulcer or sore that is infected and it is draining. The best thing to do is to get her to your vet so they can check her over and do a very good oral exam as that most likely is key here. The other huge thing is if she is actually looking yellow in her eyes / the inner ear, this would be jaundice and that could cause a yellow tint to saliva.

Hi, took Mums to the vet and they have checked her blood, white cell count is up showing she has an infection, liver and kidneys are fine, her tongue is ulcerated which I could see when the vet examined her. They are running a couple of test now to see if she has a viral infection. Her eyes are a sort of yellow colour but that's how they are, although the vet said she seems to be blind, which I was aware of, she does have some vision though because she gets about quite well even catching the odd mouse. She does seem to get some dark coloured debris coming from her ears on occasions.

I'm glad you got Mums to your vet! I'm glad that they have found the issue and hopefully with treatment she'll be feeling better here soon. Ulcers in the mouth / on the tongue can come from viral infections. They can also come from oral irritants or chemical injuries. I've seen some that have come from electrical or thermal injuries too.

Hi, I thought she had an infection because her nose has been warm to touch. The vet said she could have had some caustic chemical in her mouth. They are checking for 2 viral infections , one being linked to her immune system, couldn't make out what she was saying on the phone as my hearing has been damaged. Maybe all is not lost just yet.....

I would keep up hope that she'll start to feel better here soon. In these situations, a lot of times a broad spectrum antibiotic and oral pain medication is started up along with just basic nursing care - assisting her to eat and drink.

How is Mums doing at this time? I'm hoping better!