Cat

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

I went to change the litter and there's worms or maggots in…

Customer Question
I went to change...

I went to change the litter and there's worms or maggots in the poop, not sure whicj

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. There are all sorts of infestations the cat can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the cat's name and age?

Gypsy, older cat. Stray i took in about 8 months. Was just at the vet a month and besides aids he got a clean bill

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Gypsy?

Hes in an indoor cat

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Cat
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/22/2017
Cat Vet: Dr. Kara, Veterinarian replied 10 months ago
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

I'm sorry to hear that your stray fellow may have worms.

This is actually pretty common. It is always well worth checking at least a couple fresh stool samples as parasite eggs/cysts are shed intermittently, and thus they may be picked up on the second sample or third test even if the first is negative.

What did the worms look like?

Roundworms are long white/tan spaghetti worms. They are transmitted by walking through stool contaminated with eggs and then licking their paws. The are easily treated with a medication called pyrantel, which is available in many pet stores. Make sure to pick up stools immediately so he doesn't reinfect himself.

Small, grains of rice type worms are tapeworms. These are picked up by eating an infected flea or rodent. They can be passed with stool or on their own. Sometimes we see them stuck on the hair coat around the anus.

Tapeworms are not transmitted directly, they need an intermediate host to eat the egg and have the worm go through a development stage in the intermediate host (bird, rodent or flea) before the worm can pass to the kitty and finish development. If you don't get rid of all the fleas or a cat continues to eat prey they will continue to be a problem as he will continue to reinfest himself. They are easily treated with a medication called Praziquantal, also found online or in many pet stores.

If the worms show up in his stools only after sitting for a few days then they may be maggots, which happen when flies lay eggs in his stool. They don't infect your kitty at all. You just need to pick up stools soon after he goes so flies don't have anything to lay their eggs in the stool.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

It's hard to focus on them. If they appear banded (circular stripes along the body) then they are most likely maggots. Tapeworm segments are smooth. If you see any of these crawling around his anus then they are tapeworms for sure.

I would pick up stools as soon as you can after he passes them as a precaution.

While it would not hurt to worm him with praziquantel being that he is a stray and may have worms, I can not say for sure that these are not maggots.