Cat

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Cat defecates outside of box, started 3 months ago. I scoop…

Customer Question
Cat defecates outside of...

Cat defecates outside of box, started 3 months ago. I scoop it and dump it back into the box hoping he would get a clue, nope. The box by the way is clean and I've always kept it clean so this issue wouldn't present itself, but here we are.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name?

Binky

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Binky?

Hasn't been to the Vet yet, he seems very healthy from what I can see.

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Cat
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/21/2017
Cat Vet: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 9 months ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Thanks

1) How old is Binky?
2) Is the stool normal?
3) Have you changed litters?
4) Is Binky declawed?
5) Are you seeing urination outside of the box too?
6) Is Binky the only pet in the household? If not, have any new pets been added?
7) If other cats are in the home, how many boxes are available?

9 yes, it's normal, yes, I use the worlds best litter, front claws only, no urine outside of box, yes, only pet,
I just paid $17 for whatever
This is not a scam, is it?

If you've changed litters, as I understood, have you gone back to the original litter?

When he urinates in the box, does he cover it by scratching around?

I'm not sure what you're seeing on your end that would make you believe this is a scam. You're connected to a live person at this time.

As stated, I just paid $17 on my card for the chat, now they want more money. Answer to your question, he covers his urine

It sounds like you've received a prompt through the website for a call. This is an offer and not an obligation. Experts don't see what you see on your end and are not responsible for these offers. Decline if it pops up again and it will not charge you for the additional service. This is an attempt on the website's end to make contact between the expert and the customer more simple as many of our customers prefer to talk on the phone.

Give me about 5 minutes to type some information for you.

Can't you send the answers via chat instead of my cell?

Were you able to see my response above re: the call? We can remain in chat. I'll need a few minutes to type a response for you.

No

This is the response I sent:

I'm waiting.

The very first thing I would recommend doing is going back to the litter you were originally using if you've changed litters. If not, continue with the litter he's familiar with using. Many cats are very picky about what litter they will use for either urination or defecation. I would also highly recommend having him in to see your vet. As some cats age, particularly if they've been declawed, they will begin to experience discomfort in the neck, back, joints in the limbs and feet. Commonly, this is due to arthritis. It becomes painful for the cats to stand in the box and, thus, they avoid it if they can. Many of these cats will use the bathroom very near the box or will go on soft surfaces that don't cause pain.

Another concern we can see is pain while defecating. Again, this can be connected to discomfort of arthritis but we can also see this occur in cats experiencing discomfort from difficult bowel movements (often secondary to kidney disease), intestinal parasites, urinary tract infection, etc.

I would urge you to have Binky examined and treated by your vet. Bloodwork, urinalysis and x-rays should be taken to determine if any abnormalities exist which might be affecting the usage of the box. I would also start Binky on a joint supplement since he's a senior now, if he were my own cat. I use and highly recommend http://www.glycoflex.com products which can greatly improve a cat's comfort, mobility, joint health, bladder health, etc. Your vet may also wish to try a short stint of medication for discomfort such as onsior, buprenorphine, ultram, etc. to see if this has any response to Binky's box usage. If not, give strong consideration to trying a plush litter like Carefresh which can be found at most pet stores in the bedding section for small animals. Changing the style of box may also help, such as going to one that is uncovered and easy to walk right into and walk right out of.

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Checking in. How is Binky today?