Cat

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

My kitten is 14 weeks old and is blind in one eye. He is…

Customer Question
My kitten is 14...

My kitten is 14 weeks old and is blind in one eye. He is constantly attacking and biting.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the kitten's name?

Tobi

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Tobi?

No that's about it

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Cat
9/19/2017
Cat Vet: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 9 months ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Can you tell me what caused the blindness in the eye?

Does the blind eye look different than the functional eye?

How long have you had him?

When was he removed from his family and adopted out or, by chance, was he a single kitten or bottle raised?

Does he live with other cats?

i'm not sure what caused the blindness. the blind eye is a little whiter and smaller than the other. i've had him for about 2 weeks. his mother abandoned him as kitten because he was originally blind in both eyes. yes but he is separate from the other cat.

Can you give me additional information on what you're seeing with the attacking and biting behavior? Is this to humans during playtime? All the time? Toward other animals?

Have any diagnostics been run on the eye to determine the cause?

Can you share a picture of the eye itself?

He will jump on feet, faces, and arms. he bites and latches on. He does it to humans almost all of the time.

Does this occur primarily during play time? When people are not making contact?

It occurs during and outside of play. If you are trying to pet him he will try to attack unless he is resting. If you make eye contact with him he will run at you and jump. He is also very skittish.

Thank you. And, finally, have any diagnostics been run on the eye to determine the cause?

but i'm not sure what the cause was. the eye has been progressively getting better. the animal hospital i got him from used eye drops to help it.

Thank you for the additional information.

The first thing I want to mention is that with Tobi's history of being abandoned where he was blind in both eyes he's likely lacked the experience with other kittens to learn how to play appropriately. This commonly happens in kittens taken from their mothers at a young age, kittens born as an only kitten in a litter and those who are hand-raised as they do not get to spend time with kittens of the same age playing and realizing that being rough hurts. Additionally, Tobi may be defensive since he's has vision acuity problems the majority of his short life. If it's possible, I would urge you to try fostering a kitten about Tobi's age that can help teach him how to play appropriately. Not only would this decrease the efforts of what you're going to need to teach him, but it may also help to round him out as a better companion for other animals in your household. Many shelters, veterinary offices, rescues and such look for fosters who can help raise kittens until adoption. Tobi would do well with a kitten his age or slightly older that is playful. Many shelters and rescues will be happy to work on pairing the right kitten with Tobi for his age, if this might be an option.

If it is not, you're going to need to redirect Tobi's attention to something he can attack/play with such as toys, a scratching post, etc. To do this, those he's playing hard with/attacking will need to carry a spray bottle set to stream with them when around him. If he begins stalking, attacking or acting aggressive, the person should aim the jet of water toward his back end and give him a firm "no" even before an attack happens.

Tobi should be encouraged to play on his own with interactive toys to remove people from the equation. Look for toys that you can "set and forget" such as an undercover bird, undercover mouse, flingamastring, kong wobbler with freeze dried treats, running wheel or Bolt laser toy. You can also use teasers and laser lights to play with him without getting your body involved. Try to minimize the effort of putting yourself into the mix when he's overstimulated. If he attacks and hurts someone (even if it's uncomfortable), remove yourself immediately and play time is over. Tobi will learn that when he overdoes it his playtime with friends ends. This will be imperative to teaching him that he needs to be gentle (which is truly learned best by rough housing with other cats). Also, be cautious about cat nip and other stimulants as these can cause worsening of behavior in cats who aren't under control otherwise.

I would also talk to your vet about using behavioral medications in the future if training does not work for Tobi. I would also place a feliway diffuser within your home, as well, which can be obtained from most pet stores including Petsmart.

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
PitRottMommy

Checking in. How is Tobi?