Cat

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Cat

He's vomitting. 3 times in 3 hours. He has never vomitted

before. I'm afraid he...
He's vomitting. 3 times in 3 hours. He has never vomitted before. I'm afraid he may have ingested a tiny bit of borax from ant traps. Do I need to rush him to the emergency vet? It's getting less quantity each time.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if the cat will be able to digest that. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the cat?
Customer: He's about a year and a half old. His brother is not showing any signs of distress. They have both been eating the same food a long time. They are indoor cats.
9/18/2017
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.

Hi,I'm Dr Scott. Welcome to JustAnswer, I am working on your question now, you can expect a written reply sometime within the next ten minutes or so.

Hello again,

The good news is that Borax is not that toxic to cats, you may perhaps see a mild transient bout of vomiting and / or diarrhoea, but with a small amount such as you describe this should soon pass on it's own, so you may just want to monitor your cat for present and see how it goes. Of course cats can vomit for other reasons as well so if your cat's symptoms continue for any length of time then perhaps best have him checked over by your local vet. But please understand this sort of thing is always a gamble so if you want to be 100% sure you are doing the right thing you should have a vet check him over without delay. That said that there are a number of home remedies for vomiting in the cat which some owners use while waiting for their vet's appointment, these often work well for uncomplicated cases where for example a cat has eaten something he should not have out in the yard, or some unaccustomed rich foodstuff, or has somehow acquired a minor tummy bug. Here are some examples.

1. I am aware that some owners use Pepcid to treat their cats with gastro-enteritis and report success. Here is a link to a web page which has all the information you might need including dose rates : LINK

2. Some owners try and control the situation with diet alone before they try anything else. This is logical and often works, the basis of this is to give the intestinal tract a complete rest and then bring it back slowly to function, resting the alimentary tract is the critical factor. It would go something like this ...

A. Starve him for 24 hours but make sure he has access to water.

B. The next day feed him four or five small light meals in the day. These meals should be the likes of chicken, fish, scrambled egg etc. with a little rice.

C. If he picks up on this diet gradually reintroduce his normal diet over the next few days.

3. Live yogurt added to the food can often help. Some gastro-enteritis situations are caused by an imbalance in the bacteria in your cat's gut. Live yogurt is full of " good " bacteria and will seed them into your cat's intestinal tract and restore the balance. You do not need to give much, a teaspoon twice a day is fine for an adult cat.

Of course if any of the above does not quickly start to work or if he deteriorates further in any way you should have your vet check him over just to be on the safe side. But in any case I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if your cat's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Thank you for the thorough response.It seems like maybe he is finished vomitting. He just seems a little bit sleepier than usual. I think I will watch him carefully and write back if there are any new developments.Thank you Dr. Scott.

No problem, very glad to be advising you.

Please let me know how things go ...

Regards,

Dr Scott

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?