Cat

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Cat

We have 2 sister cats that are both anxious and motion sick…

We have 2 sister...

We have 2 sister cats that are both anxious and motion sick in the car? Will draminine help?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the cat?

Car sick and anxious

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does the cat seem to hurt?

Not really hurting. Just anxious and motion sick

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the cat's name and age?

Lilac, she's 7 and weighs 18lbs. She's half Maine coon and half barn cat.

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the maine's name?

Lilac is one and lily is the other

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Lilac?

No not really. She does have the rhino virus as she was born with it. She was adopted. Her Momma was a stray.

9/17/2017
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

Thx
Can I give them Dramamine?
My regular vet is on vacation.

I understand that you'd like to give your kitties Lily and Lilac something for carsickness.

You can give Gravol also known as Dramamine (dimenhydranate) for carsickness. The dose is 4mg to 8mg per kilogram (2.2 pounds) of body weight.

So an 18 pound kitty could take 32.7mgs to 64.45mgs. I would give one 50mg tablet to an 18 pound cat.

Give it an hour or two before travel. It will last about 8 hours. Side effects are mild sleepiness and dry mouth.

Or you can try Benedryl (diphenhydramine) at 1mg to 2mg per pound of body weight orally. An 18 pound cat can take one 25mg tablet safely. Side effects are sedation and dry mouth as well. It should be given an hour or two before travel.

I do recommend that they not eat for 8 hours before travel if possible.

Thx. What about anxiety?

I also recommend keeping a window cracked in the car as fresh air seems to help too.

Some kitties do better if they cannot see out of the car, the moving landscape seems to make them dizzier and thus more nauseous. Using a carrier placed on the floor in the car seems to help.

If this doesn't work discuss a medication called Cerenia (maropitant) with your veterinarian. It works very well to combat nausea and lasts at least 8 to 12 hours.

If you truly believe this is all anxiety related, although it seldom is, you can try products such Feliway which is a synthetic version of a calming pheromone cats produce to mark things as safe. It comes in a spray as well as impregnated collars. Spraying the carrier that they travel in may help.

Another option is a calming homeopathic remedy called Bach's Rescue Remedy. It can be used along with Feliway. See this link for further information: http://www.bachflower.com/Pets.htm

If that isn't enough your veterinarian can prescribe anti-anxiety medications for them. Possibilities include fluoxetine, or buspirone.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

The naturopathic remedies (Feliway and Bach's Rescue Remedy) can be used with Dramamine or Benadryl.

Thx so much. I have several of those remedies.

Great, best of luck with your travels with your kitties.

Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian