Cat

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Kitten has yellow discharge from vulva had her to the vets…

Customer Question
Kitten has yellow discharge from...
Kitten has yellow discharge from vulva had her to the vets on friday he says its fine but today noticed she is still yellow and sticky. She is 8 weeks old
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Cat
9/17/2017
Cat Vet: nekovet, Cat Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
nekovet
nekovet, Cat Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

How long has she been showing signs?

Has she had any change to her urination (ie going more often, straining, etc)?

Has she been passing large or small volumes of urine?

Are her gums pink or white/pale? Moist or sticky?

If you press on her belly, any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?

No discomfort gums are pink
Ive only had her 3 days

Hello again,

Now it is tricky if you have only had her for a few days, but yellow vaginal discharge is never a normal finding in cats. Given her age, uterine infections are less likely here but instead we'd have to be worried of about a bacterial vaginitis or bladder infection. Both are often triggered in young female animals by invasion of E.coli. This bacteria is often part of the normal gut flora that gains access to the bladder by fecal contamination of the female genitalia.

With this in mind, we are limited in what we can do at home for what is a bacterial infection. Therefore, if she just saw her vet, you may need to ring them once they are open about antibiotics. For the moment, we'd want to gently salt water bathe (1tbsp salt to a pint warm water) this discharge away a few times daily. Furthermore, for bladder concerns and just as a means of trying to flush any bacterial at any site out, you can try to get her to drink more if possible (which can be hard to get a cat to do). You can also offer her low-sodium chicken broth or cat milk to encourage drinking. As well, aloe vera berry juice (available at health food stores) can be helpful in changing the urine pH and making it less friendly to bacteria. Along with this, I usually advise upping their wet food portion of her diet, as this is 35% water and will sneak some water into her system.

While urine dilution will help flush out bacteria and hopefully reduce this, it is unlikely that this alone will clear this for Belle. So, again once her vet is open (sooner if she were to feel unwell), we need her local vet to dispense antibiotics. Though to help them narrow down which issue is here, once they are open you can try to collect a fresh urine sample. They can analyze the sample, determine if there are bacteria and white blood cells present (signs of infection), and rule out other issues like crystals and determine if this is more a vaginitis. Again antibiotics are likely needed to clear this but the above can be started at this stage to reduce bacteria and help Belle's immune system fight this off.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

I think im going to take her to a different vet than before to see if they can help because the first vet said she was too young for antibiotics
Is this correct she is nearly 9 weeks

Hello again,

That is a very odd statement they've made. While we of course don't like to give antibiotics willy nilly, there is no lower age limit and we do sometimes need to use antibiotics in this age. Therefore a second opinion locally would be ideal.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.

Thank you for your advice

You are very welcome, my dear. :)

Have a lovely day,

Dr. B.

************************************************************************

Please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

nekovet
nekovet
nekovet, Cat Veterinarian