Cat

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Found baby kitties at the dump. 6 in total yesterday. Then…

Customer Question
Found baby kitties at...

Found baby kitties at the dump. 6 in total yesterday. Then today the attendant at the dump said there is one more Kittie at the back. We got it home immediately gave it KMR. It drank 3cc of this. After we examined the kittty to find maggots behind his anus and

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the kitten's name?

We just got it today out of the dump.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the kitten?

We have a cat santuary of 70 cats so we are not unfamiliar with treating them

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Cat
9/17/2017
Cat Vet: Cher, Feline Specialist replied 9 months ago
Cher
Cher, Feline Specialist

Hi, I'm Cher. Welcome to JustAnswer.

I'm reviewing your question now and will post back, shortly.

Bless you for having a cat sanctuary and for saving these 7 precious feline lives!

How old would you estimate the kitties to be?

You started saying, "After we examined the kittty to find maggots behind his anus and...." it seemed you wanted to give more information; if so, what was it?

Do you see any kind of wound or sore, behind the anus? Was the area moist from urine and/or feces?

Did you check all the other kitties for any maggots, other external parasites, or injuries/sores on any part of their bodies?

Thanks for all your additional information and after you reply, please allow me a short while to return with my detailed answer.

Warmest wishes,

Cher

Hello, again.

Because the kitten with the maggots sounds so young, your best course of action would be to have him seen by a vet, asap, to have the extent of the maggot infestation established and the maggots removed.

For the moment, the first thing to do is to carefully cut the fur around the area, to remove wet, soiled fur and so you can see the maggots better. If the kitten is not even a month old, he's too young for an oral flea product called Capstar; however, you can crush the Capstar finely, with the back of a spoon, mix it with water and use a dropper to get it into the wound or area where you see the maggots and this will kill them. Here is more information:

http://www.petplace.com/article/cats/diseases-conditions-of-cats/worms-parasites/myiasis-maggots-in-cats

------------

If you are a Cat Sanctuary, call one of the vets you work with and ask him/her to come to you, to examine all the kitties and concentrate on the maggots on this particular one.

The fact that he took the 3cc's of KMR (I'm assuming from a bottle(?), is great!

I hope all will be well with this little one and all his siblings (I'm assuming this was a litter) and please let me know how he's doing. Thanks!

I hope you feel that I have given you Great Service. If so, a 5 star rating would be appreciated. Your rating should be based solely on my answer and not any site issue. Experts are not compensated for their assistance, until a positive rating is given.

If you have any other, related questions, please reply here, and I'll be happy to follow up with you at no additional charge, even after you have rated.

Thank you very much!

Warmest wishes,

Cher

Hello again,

I just thought I'd check in to see how things are going for you and your kitties, especially the one with the maggots. Was she seen in person by the vet to be treated?

My primary goal is always to provide the best answer possible. Did you find my answer helpful? Please let me know.

Thank you,

Cher