Cat

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

I have a 8week old kitten that i have had for srveral weeks…

Customer Question
I have a 8week...

I have a 8week old kitten that i have had for srveral weeks now. She had sinus infection and also eye infection. She is bottle feed theres lots ok congestion in her sinus so she want eat on her on. Been to the vet. 2x she is in augmentin 0.1 evert 12hrs. Also gentamicin with added steroids 1 to 2 drops every 6hrs. She is not any better. It sounds more like its in hee sinuses than lungs . She has a great appetite but not much energy. I call the vet yesterday and the said they have done all they can do. They did say xray.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. There are all sorts of infections the kitten can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the kitten's name?

Sierra. i am dropper feeding her she eats alot. But has very little energy.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Sierra?

No i dont think so

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Cat
9/16/2017
Cat Vet: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 9 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. In most cases, sneezing and/or ocular discharge in these kittens represent infection with the feline herpesvirus (FHV-1) which usually goes into remission unaided within 1-3 weeks. The bacteria Chlamydophila and Mycoplasma can be found concomitantly with FHV-1 or be sole infectious agents. These, too, are expected to go into remission unaided but if my patient doesn't show a positive change within 7-10 days of the onset of symptoms, I'll consider prescribing doxycycline - the antibiotic of choice for addressing those bacteria - rather than the acceptable but not as effective-against-those-bacteria amoxicillin/clavulanate (Augmentin).

It’s not unreasonable to also initiate therapy with the over the counter Terramycin ophthalmic ointment because conjunctivitis has arisen dosed at thrice daily to each eye for a minimum of 10 days. This ointment contains the antibiotics oxytetracycline and polymyxin-B and can be found in many pet/feed stores or online such as here: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=9674 It’s ideal for addressing the bacterial infections. Gentamicin which doesn't have the same efficacy against Chlamydophila or Mycoplasma.

FHV-1, however, doesn't respond to antibiotics. Severe FHV-1 infections might be addressed with the systemic antiviral drug famciclovir and an ophthalmic antiviral drop or ointment containing cidofovir. These products need to be compounded by a veterinary formulating pharmacy. Cats who become inappetent will benefit from the administration of supplemental fluids and electrolytes given subcutaneously by needle and perhaps a syringeable and palatable convalescent food.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Im sorry sorry i dont think i told you some need to know info. There has been so much with this little girl. The vet told me that its possible she has aspirated in her lungs. But it all sounds like major sinus congestion and throat. Its worse to me after she eats.
l

Thank you for the additional information. X-rays are needed to confirm aspiration pneumonia. If found, a broad spectrum antibiotic combination - e.g., doxycycline + amoxicillin/clavulanate - might be administered for a minimum of two weeks. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Is having nasel congestion apart of havingfluid in your lungs .

No, but there are infections that can affect both the upper respiratory tract (sinuses, nose, nasopharynx) and lower respiratory tract (trachea, lungs).