Richard Rawling
Richard Rawling,
Experience:  Veterinary Surgeon at Tameside Veterinary Clinic
97222438

My kitty has a,split tongue. We took her into pet emergency

Customer Question

Hi my kitty has a,split tongue. We took her into pet emergency on Sat sept 10. Her tongue was stitched and they have already dissolved. She isn't eating or drinking, and acts like she's hungry, and I've been giving her pain meds and small seringes of water.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the kitten's name?
Customer: Li-lou
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Li-lou?
Customer: Her tongue is still slightly split on the end, and I've been giving her small amounts of wet food mixed with water orally so she not so hungry. She's doing this weird thing with her mouth now, now like a chewing motion. And her nose is dry. I can administer more water. But what should I do for her? Take her back to pet emergency? And have them restich the end? She's wasting away it seems. On the pain meds she does OK, playful and such.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Cat
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I originally took her in cause her leg had bite marks and it had absesed. That looks much better and is scabbed over.
Expert:  Richard Rawling replied 1 month ago.

Hi, i`m Richard, a Veterinarian from the UK. Hopefully I can help today.

Is she managing to eat at all?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No, no eating, she wants too, and tries but only gets a piece at a time

Is she able to drink?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Do you think I will need to leave overnight with an Iv? Been trying to keep her hydrated. She tries to drink but I think it hurts her
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Her stitches sure didn't last long, and her tongue is still split
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Not good job of stiches?

If she is only on day 3 I would not be overly concerned at this stage. Mouth wounds heal very quickly in the absence of infection and you should hopefully be noticing some improvement over the next 48 hours. Tongues are notorious for not holding sutures and using longer lasting suture materials that are more resistant to breakdown in the mouth tends to lead to discomfort as these suture materials are physically stiffer which is uncomfortable in the mouth.

Will she lap anything from a syringe? What medication is she currently taking?

IV fluids would be a good idea if she is not taking anything at all. This would also facilitate potentially stronger pain relief which could help her appetite.

However, if you can get her to take fluids, if she will lap from a syringe, with some liquid food, you should be able to nurse her around at home.