Joan
Joan, Vet Tech
Experience:  Vet Tech 35+ years working w/Cats
5071285

We have had bad weather from the hurricane and power is out

Customer Question

we have had bad weather from the hurricane and power is out almost every where.and my vet will be closed for awhile..and i have a cat that i think has a upper repsitory infection..her nose stuff is alittle yellow green.she is sneezing and eye is runny and she sounds stuffy..what can i do for her..until i can get her to a vet..i have 250mg capsules amoxicillian and i read that you can open it and divide it into fifths..but how many piles is fifths of powder form capsule?and i got some terramycin eye ointment and i got some baby nose drops..and also been giving her some lysine...she is 17
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Joan replied 1 month ago.

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 35+ year. I too am a Survivor of Irma. To help you kitty, Lets get her into a steamy bathroom and sit with her. The steam will help with the conhgestion in checst as well as nose. You can use some Prdiatric saline Nasal drops. On drop in each nostry twice a day. The Terramycin in the eye are fine, but I would use a little Plain saline eye drop frist before the Terramycin. Use the Llysiene. I would not use the Antibiotcs. They are too hard to break dawn, can cause lack of appetite and even diarrhea if dosed wrong.

Let try these first aid methods and see if we can get her feeling better. If need be I can locate an ER Vet if she needs it. If you supply a City, State and Zipcode, I can locate some ER Vets.

Please hit reply to discuss tis information. To get her to eat, please use smelly food like tuna. cats use the sense of smell to stimulate the appetite and we want to keep her eating.

Joan

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
i have lready done the steam thing and the drops in the nose..but all i ahve as far as eye drops is for my dry eyes they are wetting drops..i was only wanting to use the amoxil becaseu i know it is a well tolaraled med..and i did read about how to break it down online into fifths..just needed to know how many piles that was..and if you do know would you please tell me in case i do decide to use it..shes eating fine
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
should i give the chlortrimeton antihistamine every day?
Expert:  Joan replied 1 month ago.

Chlor- trimeton is more for allergy but will not hurt and may even help a bit. The big help with be the steamy bathroom and the saline nose drops to help clear the breathing passages.

The saline in the sterile saline eye drops in the eye will help the goop and then the terramyacin will help if an infection is present.

Joan

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
okay and i asked you about if you do decide to use the amoxil how many piles is it for fifths when opening a 250mg capsule..thanks
Expert:  Joan replied 1 month ago.

It would be impossible to know how many piles because of Milligrams. I would do you a diservice to guess and it is illegal to even discuss giving an Prescription medication that has to be dosed by a Vet in person. The Other medications are ovet the counter, so I can discuss them, but Not Amoxi dosing.

Joan