Cat

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

We have a queen who showed up on our property back at the…

Customer Question
Hi, we have a...

Hi, we have a young queen who showed up on our property back at the end of June, fairly emaciated, but coat was in surprisingly good condition and almost no fleas what so ever. She had a bite would that was healing on her back leg & a strange crescent shaped wound on her lower lip. Other than the obvious malnourishment she was fine. Wormed her and with in a couple days she was putting on weight. Course that's when we discovered she was very obviously preg too lol. On the 1st she gave birth to 5 healthy lil' kittens. However, she has had diahrreah on and off since. Babies are definitely well feed and eyes are practly fully open now. She is eating & drinking fine too should we be worried yet or will this pass soon. She's not lost weight either & her coat is still soft, sleek and healthy

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Is the kitten bleeding a lot?

No bleeding of any of the kittens nor mom, just the rather loose stool that's also quite smelly. As I said the babies are happy lil' rolly pollies after each feeding by mama & mama still hasn't quit dropped her weight from having the babies. We have dry kitten food but she snubbs her nose at it and refuses to eat it, instead eating the dry 4-Health Grain Free cat food we feed our other cat's.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the kitten?

Can't think of anything. Her temp seems to be normal, no nasal discharge nor runny nose either. She is very attentive with her 5 kitten's and makes sure they nurse several times throughout the day/night too. My husband even has his heater on very low in his office where she is with her babies so they don't get cold. Our senior tomcat and adult queen who keep her company are both fine, it's just this young mama.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Cat
9/12/2017
Cat Vet: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 11 months ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

1) What dewormer was originally given?
2) Have there been any changes to the diet? New food? New treats? Bones? Has any human food been fed? Torn up toys or trash? Stressful changes to the environment?

3) To clarify, are you feeding her exactly the same foods every time she's eating including no rotation of flavors of canned food?
4) Is she being provided with any supplements like milk?

Okay A: wormer given was the Bayer tapeworm medicine for cat's (one thing we have found with all the cat's who have come to us over the years is when it comes to worms, it's always been tapeworms, never roundworms.)
B: As to diet, not really, no; when we first took her in, she was on the 4-Health Grain Free cat food that we feed our other cat's till we discovered she was pregnant; how she didn't loose the kittens is imo, a miracle as she was truly quite skinny when my husband saw her sitting on our woodpile! However she just does not want to eat it & keeps going for the other dry food instead. No human food at all; we aren't those kinds of people though we are slowly converting my dog to a partial raw diet; the cat has no access to our dog's food as she's always fed outside. (Dog, not cat) no torn toy's nor trash either; she's not overly interested in play. Only stress for her I could imagine was being dumped out near our home, and almost starved when she showed herself to us; that and having her 5 kittens the 1st of this month.
C: no rotation between canned & dry at all, we offer free feeding and because our animals are fed higher quality pet food, they don't gorge themselves but simply eat when they feel hungry. None of our animals are over weight either much to our vets surprise too.
D: no supplements as yet. I was considering getting some of the cat milk or even the kitten KMR formula stage 2 mostly for when she starts weaning her kittens but also as a possible boost since she is turning her nose up at the purina kitten chow! (Tried finding dry kitten food by 4-Health or even Diamond or Blue Buffalo but have seen none.
As I said, she is eating & drinking well, the kittens are nice and plump after each feeding and at just 11 days old now their eyes are almost fully wide eyed and they are starting to try to wabble about unsteadily too. Her coat is soft, silky and no shedding at all, eyes are bright and alert, no discharge from nose, nor any sneezing either. Just her loose, fairly smelly stool.
Are you still there? If you don't have an answer, I'll just have to try and figure a trip to our vet into our already very tight budget right now. My husband missed several days of work due to Hurricane Harvey so his last two paychecks were slim and after paying what bills were due for the first of the month, didn't leave a lot of money for emergencies, Especially considering our well pump motor burned out because of the flooding and he had to get a whole new motor and some other parts to get it up and running again. If this is going to be more than the $17.00 it said (+ the $5 fee) I need to know!

I apologize for the delay, JACustomer. I did not receive a notification of your response until this morning when I signed back on.

1) Can you provide the name of the active ingredients in the dewormer? Is this praziquantel only or pyrantel palmate, as well?

2) Has her stool been like this from the beginning or was she originally passing normal stool that's now become diarrhea?

I do not have any access to billing information. I help customers like yourself only. If you wish to discuss billing, you'll need to either call in to the customer service line or I'll need to connect you through our chat, but it will disable my ability to respond to your messages until they handle your concern and unlock the thread.

I'll be on for the next few hours and hope to catch you online.